New poll shows Clinton trails top 2008 Republicans

xnavy

http://www.reuters.com/article/poli...Type=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Good news for the Republicans. Seems that most of the top contenders for the Nomination now beat Hillary in a direct matchup with her.

New poll shows Clinton trails top 2008 Republicans
Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44pm ESTPost Your Comments | All Comments Email | powered by SphereWASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton trails five top Republican presidential contenders in general election match-ups, a drop in support from this summer, according to a poll released on Monday.

Clinton's top Democratic rivals, Barack Obama and John Edwards, still lead Republicans in hypothetical match-ups ahead of the November 4, 2008, presidential election, the survey by Zogby Interactive showed.

Clinton, a New York senator who has been at the top of the Democratic pack in national polls in the 2008 race, trails Republican candidates Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, John McCain and Mike Huckabee by three to five percentage points in the direct matches.

In July, Clinton narrowly led McCain, an Arizona senator, and held a five-point lead over former New York Mayor Giuliani, a six-point lead over former Tennessee Sen. Thompson and a 10-point lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Romney.

She was not matched against the fast-rising Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, in the July poll.

The results come as other national polls show the race for the Democratic nomination tightening five weeks before the first contest in Iowa, which kicks off the state-by-state nomination battles in each party.

Some Democrats have expressed concerns about the former first lady's electability in a race against Republicans. The survey showed Clinton not performing as well as Obama and Edwards among independents and younger voters, pollster John Zogby said.

"The questions about her electability have always been there, but as we get close this suggests that is a problem," Zogby said.

Obama, an Illinois senator, and Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, both hold narrow leads over the Republican contenders in the hypothetical 2008 match-ups.

"It all points to a very competitive general election at a time when many people think the Democrats are going to win the White House," Zogby said.

The poll of 9,355 people had a margin of error of plus or minus one percentage point. The interactive poll surveys individuals who have registered to take part in online polls.

(To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/)

(Reporting by John Whitesides, editing by Vicki Allen)

The good news is Hillary is polarizing...the bad news is Hillary is polarizing. I think the bad news will win out. Not to mention she is about is spontaneous and relaxed as a steel beam. And of course she seems to flip-flop depending on what the polls say that particular day. Her recent I was for illegals having drivers license, before I was against illegals having drivers license, only magnified to everyone her dependence on polls to decide how she will confront an issue.

xnavy said:
The poll of 9,355 people had a margin of error of plus or minus one percentage point. The interactive poll surveys individuals who have registered to take part in online polls.

i thought internet polls didnt count?

I am starting to think Hillary will lose the nomination too. I suspect Edwards will eventually throw support behind Obama, and Obama will take the lead.

I am starting to think Hillary will lose the nomination too. I suspect Edwards will eventually throw support behind Obama, and Obama will take the lead.
I'm not sure what Edwards will do, but I agree with you regarding Hillary and Obama. What Hillary had going for her the most was the sense of inevitability. With the polls in Iowa showing Obama ahead, that sense of inevitability has been ruptured. Even if Hillary wins in Iowa, the damage is done. Plus, she's waging a '90s retro-campaign that isn't making much progress. And then there's Oprah's support for Obama, which is going to make big waves. A lot of women who would have voted for Hillary in the primaries might now switch to Obama. Hillary may be a woman, but Oprah is a woman that other women trust.

However, if Hillary wins the nomination, I wouldn't expect Obama in the VP slot. The Clintons aren't tolerant of people who cross swords with them; they take a burnt-earth approach to politics. For that reason, I'd expect Richardson in the VP spot. He has already worked for the Clintons, plus he brings a Hispanic constituency with him. Black Dems will vote for Hillary, so Obama wouldn't bring anyone to the ticket that Hillary doesn't already have.

I can only want the Repub party to win IF they can get rid of Rudy, Romney, and McCain first. It seriously makes me wonder when you and I will actually matter in elections--neither party seems to reject what we don't want.

"I can only want the Repub party to win IF they can get rid of Rudy, Romney, and McCain first."

Bingo!!!

"What difference does it make? Rudy's record on RKBA is as bad as Hillary."

Exactly, right now Rudy Baby is in his stealth mode. Rudy is the only politician running for POTUS who ever sued US gun companies. If Rudy is the best that the RNC can do i will stay home on election day, 2008.

Released: November 27, 2007
Mark Penn: Buckling Under the Pressure of an Unfavorable Poll

All is fair in love and war, the centuries–old proverb states. Politics is not included, but given the way the game is played in modern–day America, maybe it should be. That’s the sense I had again this morning watching Mark Penn, the chief political strategist for Democrat Hillary Clinton, denigrate our latest Zogby Interactive survey simply because it showed his client in a bad light (Link to Latest Poll Number). Penn made the contention on the MSNBC morning news program hosted by Joe Scarborough (Link to Video)

Penn mischaracterized this latest online Zogby poll as our first interactive survey ever – a bizarre contention, since we have been developing and perfecting our Internet polling methodology for nearly a decade (Zogby Intreractive Methodology), and since Penn’s company has been quietly requesting the results of such polls from Zogby for years. We always comply as part of our pledge to give public Zogby polling results to any and every candidate and campaign that asks for them. What is interesting is that no other campaign has made as many requests for Zogby polling data over the years than Penn has made on behalf of Clinton.

Because Mark Penn is a quality pollster himself, we chalk up his contention that our poll is “meaningless” as a knee–jerk reaction by a campaign under pressure coming down the stretch. Several other polls – Zogby surveys and others – have shown her national lead and her leads in early–voting states like Iowa and New Hampshire have shrunk. This is not unusual. These presidential contests usually tighten as the primaries and caucuses approach.

Fritz Wenzel
Director of Communications
Zogby International

Back