New Pistol Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

antenna

Debating in two choices and was hoping to hear from someone who has either used these particular guns or who actually owns one:

a. Walther P-series (Model undecided)
b. Sig Sauer P210

Well - the Walther is a carry gun.
The Sig P210 is a target/collector piece...

What do you want to DO with it?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

George,

Thanks for replying. I want an all around tool that I can use not only for self defense but also for informal competition. I've heard that not much beats the Sig for accuracy, but I've not heard much about the Walther save they are fairly robust weapons.

What kind of competition Antenna? If Postal shooting is you game and IF you got the cash and you are righthanded, get a P210. It will serve you well in either discipline. Stuff it in a good quality IWB and it will dissapear. Alas, since I am lefthanded, I can only admire from afar...

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

Hey, have any of you seen Magnum Researches new addition to the handgun market... Geez I can't remember the model, but I'll post it tomorrow. That thing has THE BEST trigger pull of any gun I have encountered... ESPECIALLY for a pistol. The double action is NOTICEABLY smoother than anything.. nothing can touch it... Someone please try it out and tell me I wasn't dreaming... I've been lookin at alot of new guns, and I gotta say that it just got bumped up to the top of my list for purchase sometime this week... Yet 4 hours ago, I was dead set on a different gun. Again, I'll post the model tomorrow (it's not in the Eagle Series i.e. Desert Eagle, Baby Eagle, etc.)
Write back, please!

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

If you plan on carrying this gun for self defense, the P88 compact might be something to consider. You didn't specify what type of self defense.
Also, what type of competition? The 210 is the way to go for accuracy, but if it is some type of action shooting (like IDPA, or something similar), you might be better with something else.

Casual competion and maybe something more serious when the range here gets their program together. As far as self-defense is concerned, just strictly around the house, not as a carry gun. I use a 1911 as a carry gun and bought a S&W 442 for the wife. More as a backup gun in the event the 1911 is not around or is out of commission.

antenna-
The only Walther P series pistols(not PP) that are still available new (while supplies last) are the P-5,P-88C,P-99,andP-990.
I have all the above except the 990 and use the 99 for IDPA shooting and carry depending on the situation. I am a big Walther FAN but if I had the chance to get a 210 that was in great condition at a good price I think that is what I would get(sorry Carl)esp. since you have a primary carry pistol.
David

I would go with the P210. It is spendy - but spooky accurate. If you want to do some formal shooting - then thats the ticket. Throw on some Custom grips - let them all die of envy.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Hello, Antenna! I'd go with the the SIG P210 over the Walther. I think that while quality of materials is excellent in both guns, the P210 just has a particular "grace" to it that's missing in other handguns. I can testify to the weapon's extreme intrinsic accuracy levels. Mine has proven reliable with most all high performance rounds and even though limited, I suspect that there's still more aftermarket "stuff" for the P210 than say a P88. Best.

If $$$ is not any issue...

Is there really a choice here???

A SIG 210! perhaps one of the finest semi-autos in the world, over a Walther???

I know if I was given that choice, the 210 would be it in a second!

------------------
SURE SHOT

I'd have to agree with Stephen and George on this one (I always do, anyway). I've owned a Walther P5, which I traded for a H&K P7, which I traded (plus cash) for a SIG P210. No regret whatsoever. The SIG is by far the most well-built, accurate auto pistol I have ever owned or handled. The Walther and HK were excellent guns (I'd like a P7 again at some point), but the SIG is enchanting! It's intrinsic accuracy is extraordinary. There are no tolerable excuses with this weapon- bullets go where they are aimed. I would unhesitatingly recommend it as the finest 9mm handgun available- with apologies to Walther, HK and the venerable Browning HP. The one hole, fifty foot offhand group I shot with the SIG on its first trip from the box made the price paid ($1125) a veritable bargain. Get the SIG. It's a treasure.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back