New Pasadena, Tx shooting Info.

OldTXCop

Inactive
It's on tonight's news..... Autopsy reports show that the two burgulary suspects were actually shot in the back, by Mr. Horn, and supposedly a plainclothes detective pulled up just seconds before the shooting and witnessed the incident.

It will be interesting to see if this will change things legally......

Here's the story link

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5359290.html

It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out under Texas law, but that's enough for me to call this man a criminal.

It's really sad how just a few bad choices can ruin lives, but needlessly risking your life and taking two men's lives over a bit of property....

In the same article, we have this juicy tidbit. It doesn't appear to me like these two were cute little Girl Scouts.

The suspects were illegal immigrants from Colombia, and one man had been deported nearly 10 years ago, authorities said.

Authorities have said they are investigating whether Diego Ortiz, 30, and Hernando Riascos Torres, 48, were part of a crime ring linked to burglaries and the use of fake immigration documents.

The two — killed by Horn after he said they were trying to steal his neighbor's property — were in the country illegally, according to Leticia Zamarripa, a spokeswoman for the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Horn, 61, shot Ortiz and Torres, who went by the alias Miguel Antonio DeJesus. Horn called police after hearing breaking glass. He ignored an operator's warning to not go outside with his gun.

Corbett said Torres was deported to Colombia in 1999 after a 1994 cocaine-related conviction. He was on parole until 2017, Corbett said.

Police found a Puerto Rican identification card on Ortiz. He had two aliases.

Torres had identification cards from Colombia, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. He had three aliases.

State and federal authorities are investigating whether the two men, who lived in southwest Houston, were involved in the crime ring, Corbett said.

Police found almost $2,000 in cash in a white bag the men allegedly took from the home in the 7400 block of Timberline before Horn shot them.
That is precisely the kinds of characters you or I might have to defend our homes against...any further doubts as to whether he did the right thing?

Hey, I would let Horn go......

he did society a favor by getting rid of those two scumbags with their past criminal records?

so if you are an honest law abiding citizen, why would you need to go by 3 aliases? and have id cards from 3 different places?

The dead guys are criminals, everyone agrees. Should we leave it at that and say good work?

I agree everyone has the right to defend their homes against these criminals, but Horn was not defending his home, neither was he defending his life nor his property.

Perhaps if he hadn't expressed such zeal about taking life then I would not judge him so harshly, but that's what this man did. He decided to kill these men for stealing his neighbor's property, ignored the advice of the 911 operator and executed them.

Why stop at the people who robbed a house one over? Why not let him patrol his entire neighborhood, why not his whole city or better yet the state? Let's have a bunch of Joe Horn's executing everyone they see committing a crime that does not involve a present threat to their lives.

Sure that's fun to say in theory, and maybe we'd feel better knowing superhero Joe Horn was out there defending our streets. But it ignores something called Due Process of Law.

The difference between Horn being justified and deserving a jail cell to me is only whether the robbers attacked him. Although I'll maintain he shouldn't have left his house, regardless, the minute they advanced toward him with a perceived intent to do him harm, he is justified in defending himself.

However, the picture that is emerging is that he rushed out of the house to stop them, realized that he was unable to force them to remain there until the police arrived, and shot them in the back while trying to run from him.

There's nothing valiant or remotely praiseworthy about that picture.

I'll add one more comment for everyone, including myself, unhappy with the ineffectiveness of waiting inside your house and talking to the 911 operator while the criminals get away. Keep in mind a citizen has many of the options a police officer has when witnessing a crime.

Horn may:
(i) confront the criminals,
(ii) order them to stop,
(iii) arrest them, and
(iv) use necessary force to effect the arrest.

Not happy with having to chase, tackle, grapple with the men and effectively restrain them until the real police arrive... then don't involve yourself.

The right to arrest is not the right to execute. Real police are properly prohibited from shooting unarmed fleeing suspects, and I see no reason to allow citizens to.

My suspicion is that people have simply decided that they are in favor of Horn and will not let any new information change that.

I agree everyone has the right to defend their homes against these criminals, but Horn was not defending his home, neither was he defending his life nor his property.
You need to review some of the other posts on this. Being asked to 'keep an eye on my property' gives him ownership rights and he's justified per Texas law. His problem is the way he went about it.

This will probably be the last Horn related thread I read or post to.

The background of the two individuals he killed does not matter, unless they were threatening him he had no need to shoot. You can play the shoulda, woulda, coulda card all day long and it means absolutely nothing.

I had a feeling that he shot two fleeing individuals in the back and if this report is accurate my gut feeling was right. He effectively executed these guys while they were running away from him. Because he was scared most likely, could have been a race thing but as I said in another post I think old Joe would've popped anything he saw moving, including plain clothes cops that "didn't look right".

Finally, as far as the law goes, he said he hardly knew his neighbors so it's very unlikely that he was watching their property per their request, his property was not in danger, and he was in no danger until he put himself in harms way...not sure even then he was in danger.

I don't expect the fact that this guy blasted two guys in the back to change any "pro-horn" people's mind for the simple fact that his supporters are very vocal about the emotional angle of what he did...protecting his neighborhood, doing the right thing, "SENDING A MESSAGE" and ignoring the facts.

The facts are that this guy called 911, voiced fear and aggression, disregarded the pleas and orders of the 911 operator (likely on behalf of the PD), and went outside and shot these guys who he spooked with his 12 gauge while they were running away.

My feelings (and the law I believe) about this change if they try to force their way into his house, take a shot at him while he's looking out of the window, or even if he hears gunshots inside the neighbor's house and is 100% certain that those running away are the bad guys who likely just killed someone (because they would presumably be armed and ready to shoot anything to get out of there, including a nosy bystander).

With all of the anti-gunners out there is supporting this guy really worth our collective time and effort? He made a very bad decision with cold blooded actions that almost speak of premeditation (I'm gonna kill these guys....then MOVE and you're dead). I think we could be talking about more productive and important things than this...remember we want to minimize handgun legislation, not get more legislation about what constitutes a good shoot or a bad shoot.

+1 for Mr. Horn

even if it was on neighbor's property and the two perps were shot in back.

Statistically, it was highly probable that they were armed and could have easily turned around and shot Mr. Horn or other people.

Remember, it takes only an instant for an armed person to turn around and shoot at you. In such a scenario, quite often, action beats reaction.

My only hope is that Mr. Horn is not charged and doesn't have to spend any money on legal fees.

Like in elections in which we weight the lessor of two evils the same may apply here,on one hand you have two very bad guys who would have went on to rob and perhaps kill vs. a citizen with a clean record. I see no benefit
to society for Horn going to jail.

Back