New P229 RX feeding

Jeryray

So I have about 500 rounds through a new Sig P229 RX.
It seems some rounds don't tilt up enough to head into the chamber. And that's very difficult to clear. Happened two or three times already I don't know if it's a magazine problem or feeding problem.

I might try polishing the surfaces where the round feeds.

I am using Berry 124 hp.The same rounds feed through by 226 Legion and my 226 regular RX no problem.

Polishing the feed ramp:

I haven't had to do it a while, but I used to either use a red rouge cloth or Mother's Mag on a rag and just use my finger. And when my finger hurt too bad switch to a pencil eraser.

Do the failures to feed happen when first chambering, or in the middle of a string? Are you using the slide release button or releasing by hand?

Could be the overall length of the round too, your P229 may want a longer OAL so the bullet can engage the feed ramp before it leaves the support of the magazine's feed lips. If it never happens with factory ammo you might consider tailoring the load. Oh a hollow point you say? Is the wide mouth of the hollow point getting stuck on the bottom of the feed ramp? Your P229 may just not like the shape of that hollow point. Hope you figure it out.

I would agree on trying a different ammunition. SIG will likely ask you that if you call them. It is odd the same load works in your other SIGs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Their failure is the round doesn't make it past the frame before the ramp so it's parallel it seems like the nose is not sticking up from the magazine like my 226 Max.

I just made 1/2 a dozen dummy bullets no powder no primer and I want to check those by manually feeding them and see what the issue is, maybe the Mags I'm not sure will let you know. Be about a week before I get back to the range where the pistol is kept..

I do have some polishing wheels I can always polish the ramp and innards lube it up a little bit see what happens

I laos just installed the 19# Greyguns hammer spring.

I would not think that could pertain this problem though.

Does not happen on the first round.

when it happens I have to push my finger in through the opening in the slide while holding it open and pushed down on the round to the goes back in the magazine then I can pull the magazine out usually does a mark on the bullet from the pressure that's been put on.

Could somebody please send me a photo of a P229 mag with a couple hollow points I would like to see the angle it should be sitting at.
I think mine is to horizontal and it's not sticking up my P2 26 Mags. Thanks in advance.

Back