New owner of a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 (input/guidance appreciated!)

Georgian

Hey yall. I am not new to 1911s, but haven't had one in quite awhile. I decided to purchase one of the Mil-Spec Defender Series for around $500. I have always preferred the look of the USGI 1911. I am not planning on turning this into a custom piece, but was thinking of several upgrades. I first plan to shoot the snot out of the weapon and then make a decision on how I want it modified to my tastes.

My first thought was to purchase one of the Harrison Designs retro GI dovetail rear sights and send the slide to Novak for their front dovetail and to possibly have a fiber optic sight installed. Next, a better trigger, perhaps a CMC or Wilson solid serrated type. I would like to stay with the standard grip safety, unless I can find a type that is similar in look to the GI version, but more comfortable to handle/shoot.

I plan to conduct a full review of the handgun to include pictures, bench/off hand groups from 7-25 yards, etc.

Overall, I want to keep the GI/retro look and feel overall, but improve handling and shootability where possible. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, along with the opinions of other Mil-Spec owners!

I've had my buddy's Mil Spec on extended loan for almost two years now.
Very solid gun for the price. I like the GI look.

Don't see any point in a front dovetail if you're liking the GI look. You could get a fiber optic stake on front, keep the GI looks and save a few bucks.

What is it about the grips safety you don't like?

Shoot 500 rounds, see where you're at.

I wouldn't spend too much money 'improving' a $500 gun, because in the end, it's still a $500 gun.

My primary reason for wanting to update the trigger is because the factory trigger on my model has a plastic shoe......I do not know anything about the durability of plastic triggers in a 1911 style gun. They work in polymer striker fired guns, and it seems like the plastic trigger shoe would not have much stress imparted to it, but I just don't know. What is the consensus on plastic 1911 triggers?

The Springfield Mil-Spec Defender seems like a nice 1911 and a very good value. The one I handled had fairly nice white dot sights, and they didn't strike me as something that would necessarily need to be changed.

I wouldn't be concerned about the durability of the plastic shoe trigger. Colt, and perhaps others, have used them in the past.

I find even basic 1911s quite serviceable (except those with the tiny rounded mil type sights) and would be inclined to shoot it for awhile before deciding what to change (if anything).

Back