New or Used Revolver for Customization

Stoic

I want to send a revolver to a gunsmith for a performance action job and sight installation. Would it be better to purchase a new revolver or a used revolver for such a project? What would the Pros and Cons be for each? Wouldn't the action job correct any problems on the used revolver? Also, would the used platform likely be subjected to too much wear for possible investment and customization?

I am not competent to judge the quality and condition of a used revolver. That, and the fact that I would not want to invest the cost of high quality gunsmithing in a gun of questionable quality, is the reason I have chosen to get new revolverss picked by the gunsmith for his customization.

What do you want to use the revolver for?
Self-defense (home or CCW?), hunting, IDPA, etc?

One nice gun to use as a custom platform is a S&W Model 10.
Literally millions available, used, and in good condition for around $150. Most are police/agency trade-ins with much holster wear but impecible (sp?) mechanics.

Since you would likely reblue/replate a custom gun anyway, some holster wear (excluding big dings and gouges) is inconsequential.

If you require adjustable sights, look to the S&W M15.
Or in stainless, the M67.

Want it in .357?
Go for the M13 or 65, both with fixed sights.
Or the M19 or 66, with adjustable.

Those four are found used in the mid-$200's. New for the $400's.

Just a suggestion. :)
-Kframe

re: ?

Use what is available, and cost effective whether new or used.

I have a small framed 3-screw Blackhawk in .357 Mag that is going to become a 3' or 3.75" .44 SPL or .45 ACP once I save the money and decide. Dave Clements is going to do the work form me.

Doc Hudson

There are...

...a bazillion good deals on police trade-in wheelguns out there right now. Get one, get two; heck, stock up for future customization projects. Model 10's, 13's, 19's, 66's; get 'em while they're cheap.

View

Here is a picture of an old model 10-6 that I restored. Did an action job, roundbutted it, slapped some Ahrends cocobolo grips on and had S&W refinish it down to the original roll marks.

Another Custom Job

I too customized a used M10-6.
Here's a link to a thread about the whole job.
http://216.88.255.50/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000596.html

One of the things that makes the Model 10 (or for that matter any S&W K-frame) a great platform for custom projects is the unlimited availability of original replacement parts, as well as other-brand accessories to fit the K-frame.
Dozens of different trigger, hammer, sight, grip, barrel thumblatch, and other options to choose from.

You can literally come up with a one-of-a-kind configuration the specifically suits you.

It's great!
:D
-Kframe

[Edited by Kframe on 03-27-2001 at 09:30 AM]

Back