new mossberg 462 spx

bcarver

I may not have the name right but it is a cross between a lever gun and an AR.
It has retractable stock.muzzle brake and 3 picatinny foregrips.
I have refrained from calling guns ugly until now.

And thats what happens when movies like cowboys vs aliens comes out.

I wonder what drugs they were taking when they designed that?

"Ok Ok, I got a great idea man. We have the new age crowd, with their AR craze...and classics who love lever guns.... Lets combine the two!!" into something nobody will like.

Mossburg 464 SPX

Last edited:
Me too

I hope they sell a million of them too. Why not. If some guys like it, good enough. I'd buy it with black synthetic stocks that were shaped like a regular old .30-30 stocks, so who am I to laugh at it. :rolleyes:

Oh heck, I'm still laughing though. Just can't help it, that's funny. :D

the idea of modernizing the lever action rifle is sound but mossberg went about it completely wrong IMO. I would love to have a lever action with synthetic furniture and a rail on top for a red dot would be great since I seem to have a bit of trouble with irons for some reason. however they went with a 3 rail rather than 4 rail design and chose to place the third rail on the bottom rather than top, removing the most prolifically "necessary" rail from the equation and creating shooter discomfort.

then there is the buttstock. I normally prefer telescopic to folding but in the case of a lever action, I would much rather have side folding for compact storage which when unfolded would look pretty similar to a straight synthetic stock rather than the gawd-awful look of the telescopic stock on the 464.

I would go one step further and design it with a detachable box magazine rather than tube, opening the field to cheaper and more popular rounds(not dissing the 30-30 at all) such as the 223/5.56, 7.62x39, 308, 30-06 and other more heavily available rounds.

I'm a levergun fan for sure (love my '76 Marlin), and I'm buying one of these just for the fun of it, so long as the 'actual' price is under 400 like I suspect it will be.

I do have to agree that as much as I really dig the concept, there are some really silly missteps on this gun. If I had designed it it would have a cool synthetic cowboy crescent, and be available in 357 Mag with a longer barrel and a forward-mounted top rail. No one's going to hang crap all over something like this, but it's got great utility potential.

I really think Mossberg had a great idea, regardless of the ugly-gun ranters, but I think they missed the boat on some design choices, as well as the fact that 357 levers are really, really popular right now and hard to get (especially considering the quality issues with new Marlins).

Back