New Moss 500 Field: Bolt/Ejector are black instead of silver?

wild cat mccane

Hey there.

I picked up a brand new Mossberg 500 12ga Field with wood furniture from Grabagun for 250. Couldn't pass it up. However, this 4th 500 to me came to me with a black coated bolt/ejector area. My other 500 Field/Combos uncoated metal silver?

What gives? Did I get a a cheaper bolt?
Part number is no different from my other Fields.

My 12ga 500 Field has the same thing. But, my 20ga 500 Field is "chromed". Bought both new within a month of each other. Go figure. About a two years ago. Also, my 20 only came with one choke, the 12 came with three. Both are the combo's.
You should be GTG.

I believe the shiny silver isn't a finish like chrome but the metal polished.

I guess my real question is, is the blued bolt/ejector a different metal than the bolt with a silver appearance? Does the blued bolt suggest it is less robust to rust (knowing blueing is a form of rust) than the silver bolt?

I couldn't really answer that, as I've only had mine for about two years and kept in-house.
Just clean them normally after use, and you should be fine. I don't even think about the difference.

I know with the tactical 500/590's the ones with blued barrels got the silver, the matte/parkerized ones got the black bolt/ejectors. I like the black coated better.

If it's a blue, using all other guns as an example, the blued metal is a) different and b) less resilient to rust. I could be wrong on both.

I'm going to send Mossberg an email and will post back.

Back