New Mosin, with a difference

Doug76

This is my 4th MN. The others have all gone to friends. Not that they weren't good, but for some reason I just never held onto them. One was a 1939 Tula, the rest were 1943 Izzy's. All were round receiver, and all had the very short LOP. I kept the Tula the longest.
And here's the difference.
This latest one is a 1932 Tula hex receiver, my first hex. But imagine my surprise when it actually felt right when shouldered! By that I mean the LOP was very near perfect.
I've measured the others, and they were all in the 12-12.5" range.
This one measures 13.25". In all other respects it's a standard M91/30.
Has anyone ever run across one with a longer LOP like this one has, and does it signify anything?
Pretty sure this one is the one I'll be keeping. It's in very fine condition.

Doug I have about six 91/30 Mosins and some do have different lengths of pull, but almost the same. The Russians were not known to put alot of attention to detail while building them or refurbishing them, IMO. With that said, if you have one with a good bore, it should shoot good. I do think the Hex ones feel better in the hands, but that's me.

2 Mosin Nagants

I lucked out. Was gifted a Finnish Mosin Nagant M39 with hex receiver and Belgian barrel. Looks as if was never shot until I placed a few rounds through it. At 100 yards with open sights it hit a 10"steel plate on every shot. Very pleased with the ease and comfort of shooting the M39.

Last week I stopped at the Gonzales, LA, Cabela's looking for anything that I could not live without. In their used gun racks stood about 40 MN 91/30's. Each priced at $129. Different year stamps from Tula and Izhevsk armories. Two or three of them had hex receivers. I picked out a 1931 Tula hex. Nicely preserved with one cosmetic drawback: the ugly engraved import marking on the receiver. The Finnish rifle has an import mark also but very inconspicuous.

Hoping the Russian 91/30 rifle shoots as well as the M39.

That import mark can be made less conspicuous by rolling it firmly with a steel bar and applying some cold bluing. Don't do that to the serial number though as that would be illegal.

Back