New Model Blackhawk missing some metal

fotojake

Had the Blackhawk about a week and thought I had looked 'er over pretty good when I came upon this nice surprise on the frame where the loading gate hinge is. "By God, we'll make it fit!" I can just hear them now...

View attachment 102024

Can something like this be easily filed/sanded down and smoothed out or should I just send it to Ruger (who already told me to get in touch for a RMA number). I hate to part with it and run the risk of it coming back with something else wrong. Then, there is always just leaving it alone and learning to live with it.

I've been hearing that their QC has gone downhill; now I know for a fact.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I assume that is a new gun, but it looks like someone repaired the loading gate but had no idea how to fit it. If I got that from a gun shop, I would think the gun was dropped in the store with the gate open and they tried to fix it up good enough to sell.

Jim

Brand new gun that I bought from Gallery of Guns. Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers send their barely passed QC firearms to them and other online sellers?

I had Rugers in the past that seemed to have QC issues, some I chose to live with others I did not.

Something as bad as what's in the picture I would send the gun back to Ruger.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Brand new gun that I bought from Gallery of Guns. Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers send their barely passed QC firearms to them and other online sellers?
Gallery of Guns (Davidson's) is a large distributor.
They get the same level of quality and assortment of quality failures as any other distributor.
...Except, sometimes, when dealing with the "Exclusives" (special runs). Special runs seem to get a little more attention to detail, since Ruger often: 1. Won't have the parts to fix them on a customer care claim (there is no "warranty"). And, 2. Will have to have the part(s) made or finished as a one-off if they opt to repair, rather than replace the firearm.

I've had a few quality "failures" as well. Most, I chose to live with or fix myself. The only factory-new issue for which I chose a 'warranty repair' was bad timing on a .327 SP101.

I'm in the process of shipping it back to Ruger. Spoke with customer service and sent photographs. They turned around and sent me a RMA number and a shipping label. Very nice customer service!

Fingers crossed. It would appear that with some judicious sanding and file work that they could fix 'er up. The botched workmanship is at an angle that if you weren't specifically looking there, then, you wouldn't see it. I shot the firearm 2x before I noticed the missing metal..

Whoever polished that, or was grinding on it, went overboard at the factory. It looks to have been caught on the edge of a belt or disc, which they do use on rough castings before the final polishing. That entire edge is messed up. Maybe it was a greenhorn they hired.

Back