New Mexico gun laws

R_CRUZ

Inactive
I will be relocating to New Mexico in the near future. The reason of the relocation is because I will become a Border Patrol Agent. I will like to know more information regarding the shipment and/or registry of the guns I currently own in Puerto Rico (4 pistols, 2 rifles, and 1 shotgun). I have checked some websites, but I wonder if the information is up to date.

Thanks in advance.

from what i understand the gun laws there are good. only thing is, if you're BP, the way i understand it is you can only carry your duty weapon off duty. one of my college classmates is a BP agent and he said that he rarely carries off duty because of it.

Thanks for the quick responses. There is one question that is still unanswered: where should I ship my guns. I guess they should be shipped via UPS to a FFL dealer, right?

cookhj, here is what I found about the use of personal guns:

Q. What gun does the Border Patrol use? Can I use my own gun?

A. The Border Patrol uses the H&K P2000. It is a .40 caliber semi auto pistol. Personally owned guns must be approved by your Chief Patrol Agent in charge of your sector.
(emphasis added)

If I am lucky my CPA will approve my carry gun (1911).

Last edited:
You can ship your guns to yourself at your new address. Or simply bring them with you on the plane (declared in your baggage).

Back