New Member here! Seeking advice...

deltasig1218

Hey guys! New member here, looking forward to joining your knowledgeable community and learning from you guys while contributing any way I can along the way :)

This is my first post so please dont kill me lol

Ive been looking to expand my firearms collection as of late... in my college days I started out with a glock 36 .45 ACP purchased from a friend, then later my ex purchased a Delton midlength AR kit for me for Christmas, on which I built my first AR on a stripped Spikes tactical lower receiver.

Fast forward to now, I have a steady career and my finances are in a lot better shape lol I have recently purchased a Colt Government Model Competition Series 1911 with a set of Mammoth ivory bark grips and an Arsenal SGL21 AK47. I recently just placed an order for a KAC SR15E3 MOD2, a remmington V3 TAC13 semi auto shotgun, and a glock 19.

So as it stands, here is what I technically own to date:

Glock 36 .45 ACP
Glock 19 9mm
Colt Comp. 1911
DTI AR15 5.56
KAC SR15 5.56
Arsenal SGL21 AK47

My uses for these guns are strictly to collect, for home defense and to take to the range a few times every couple of months or so, so no competition purposes. As well as in a dangerous situation, I want to make sure that I can provide everyone in my family or in my immediate group has a firearm that they can handle.

My questions are, what should be my next addition(s)? Should I add another handgun? Another rifle? Im considering a styer scout .308, styer scout .22 RFR, Walther P22, and perhaps a .458 SOCOM. Anything wrong with these choices? And again, any input, criticisms, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated and welcome.

Thanks in advance guns!

Thinking more like a Ruger 10/22.
For fun, it's a great little rifle, also something good for a beginner that isn't going to scare them.
For small game (you said shtf) everything you have is way too much power.
Hit a squirrel with your 5.56 and you'll just get a red mist. Kinda hard to eat then.

"Thinking more like a Ruger 10/22."

I agree on this one. In certain scenarios, a 10-22 with several FUNCTIONAL 25 round magazines can provide a minimally capable user with a manageable "repel boarders" tool. It can also be a low noise small game provider.
If this doesn't fit, take a look at a 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags. A 9mm carbine can give that minimally capable user more umph and range w/o undue recoil or noise.

I find it easier to pick a rifle/gun when I determine what I want it to do. Tell us what you want it to do.

Additionally, I hear you are a guy with 4 new guns. I would personally be spending my next dollars on ammunition, optics, safes, training, good gun cases, a range, a good solid rest, good eye & ear protection,holsters, slings, etc. imagine that 1911 in one of these...link

Basically, I would work on my shooting and setup at this point.

Thinking more like a Ruger 10/22.
For fun, it's a great little rifle, also something good for a beginner that isn't going to scare them.
For small game (you said shtf) everything you have is way too much power.
Hit a squirrel with your 5.56 and you'll just get a red mist. Kinda hard to eat then.
My best friend suggested that rifle as well, and it's being considered. No frills, solid, reliable rifle, I've been between that rifle and a styer scout rifle .22 rfr, which is a couple of hundred dollars more but for some weird reason im drawn to that design. Any thoughts on the styer scout vs 10/22?

And yeah a .22 is a must in the arsenal, which is why a p22 and a .22lr is on my list, small game hunting or beginner shooters would make use of these.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Also agree with the Ruger 10-22... solid, dependable, cheap ammo. I love shooting mine at the range and can shoot for couple hours and only burn up $6-8 worth of ammo. But you did use the word "collection". If that means a wider variety of the KIND of gun, I would start looking at a hunting rifle with good long range capability along with a good scope for it... .270/ .308/ 30-06/ 30-30. Yes as a Garand collector... if you're into guns look into that. Unique feel and sound, beautiful historic rifle, always turns heads at the range. But as Nathan said, if you're watching your dollars, make sure you can feed and care for your guns before acquiring lots of them. As I'm sure you are aware, the initial cost of the gun is not the end! I always buy at least 3-4 extra mags for every gun I have, and for some like my AR and my Glocks and 1911's, more than that.

Just going off the "collection" key word, have you thought about an M1 Garand?
Would love a garand actually lol that's on the list down the line though after a .22 rifle and maybe a wonder 9 lol

Sounds like a lot of support for the 10/22

What do you want in a 22? Sometimes a 17hmr is a better answer. Often times a 22 is....
I have a s&w 17, Browning Buckmark 22 and a 10/22 custom build in process.

I find it easier to pick a rifle/gun when I determine what I want it to do. Tell us what you want it to do.

Additionally, I hear you are a guy with 4 new guns. I would personally be spending my next dollars on ammunition, optics, safes, training, good gun cases, a range, a good solid rest, good eye & ear protection,holsters, slings, etc. imagine that 1911 in one of these...link

Basically, I would work on my shooting and setup at this point.
I agree, go do the above things, you’ll get gun fever soon enough..CCW? The Glock19 is a great choice...

Let’s see — a 1911, a couple of Glocks, an AR15, an AK.

I think your collection needs a revolver. I suggest a k-frame size or larger in .357 Magnum so you can also shoot .38 special. A S&W 686 is a gem of a gun and very accurate, especially if you get the 6 inch barrel.

Another option would be a single action Army replica (from Uberti, Pieta, or a Ruger Vaquero). For that, I’d suggest .45 long colt.

If you are shooting "every couple of months" or so stick with collecting. That's not nearly enough training to carry or use a gun defensively. Buy a big safe and keep your purchases sensible. When you are ready to commit to training then you can think about using one of your guns for CCW or self defense.
As far as collecting goes, Walther PPK, S&W Model 29 are fine additions.

I'll answer since you used the correct "advice" (ice) instead of the usual incorrect "advise" (ize).
Looking at what you already have, I think you definitely need some .22s; both a rifle and pistol. The P22 and 10/22 would both be excellent, inexpensive choices.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Much appreciated input.

I was looking at the Steyr .22 rfr but upon reading further it looks like it's not that great of a rifle, build quality issues and not as accurate compared to the CZ equivalent and apparently, the Ruger 10/22 lol so it looks like my choice is made for my .22 rifle choice. A .22 handgun would be nice as well, I'd imagine a p22 and a 10/22 would run about $600 give or take, which would leave plenty of money for ammo and a couple of accessories.

Yeah I won't be at the range nearly as much as you guys, at least not for now, work keeps me way busy, but I'll try to get out there as often as possible.

I'm scared to think about optics and modifications lol but a nice acog for my SR15 is probably high on the list.

"...maybe a wonder 9..." That's what a Glock 19 is. Buy the M1 Rifle. They're not going to be available forever(even the CMP is running out) and what will be around will be grossly expensive and in less than stellar condition. The latter is already happening at retail places like Cabela's, et al and gun shows.
There's no rifle that's quite like an M1 Rifle either(maybe a Carbine though.). There's something about 'em that makes 'em special. That and boring commercial hunting rifles like 10/22's will always be available. No commercial firearm currently available is remotely collector stuff either.

I agree on a .22. I just picked up a Mark IV. Made sense now than rimfire is available and kinda cheap again.

Such a hoot to shoot.

It is obvious you like collecting & shooting firearms but have you ever had any thought on building your own. In most states you can legally build your own AR, AK, Glocks, 1911s & many more out of 80% receivers. You may have heard about them, they are called ghost guns. It's just a term the media has given them because most of them don't have any kind of federal serial numbers unless your state requires it.
You could take your time & actuality build your collection enjoying the build along with ownership & trips to the range with your exotic home built guns. ;)

Back