new marlin 336s quality

T_PRO_Z

Hello all. everyone knows of the legendary durability of the marlin 336, but are the new ones just as good? I am thinking on purchasing one for a brush gun.

I've never heard anything disproving their durability. For the most part people just question their fit and finish. Make sure the sights are on straight.

have they had problems with alignment?

Yes...They have...Over/under rotated barrels...Rear sight dovetail not aligned with the front sight, etc....

Also, barrel droop, and cracked receivers on the 1895's...Intermittent wood to metal issues...And they can't make an 1894 in anything other than the basic model, and then only in .44 Mag...

Bottom line is, do not buy sight unseen, and inspect very carefully before taking possession...

The guns (what they are producing) are better than they were in 2012, but there are still some questionable ones in the pipeline...

if I get one, it will be ordered off of buds. I don't like the sound of the quality. since Remington moved to china and bought marlin it seems they are dragging another great manufacturer down with them. the old remingtons cant be beat, but now.... id pick a savage over them. sorry off topic a bit, but it just disappoints me to see the two titans of various great rifles go to the toilet.

My nephew just bought a 336Y for his son the hunt with it. This is the Youth stocked model with 18 inch barrel. No problems with fit or finish. The action is a bit tight but will loosen up with use. In my opinion, Remington corrected their previous goofs.

Jack

I have an old 336 30-30 but it has never been shot. just been in a collection for many years and I want one because I got it out to wipe it down and put it on my shoulder and it was very comfortable. and I really liked the feel of the rifle.

I have an 1894 in 357 mag. No complaints other than many sharp edges. Shoots well. Not as well as my 336 in 35 rem that is nearly 25 years old but well enough.

Got three Marlin 336 leverguns.

A Texan made in 66. Finish is worn, but not worn out. Shoots fine. Reminds me of my 336 Texan I had when I was 18. Got my first five deer with it but stupidly traded it off.

A Glenfield model 30 half magazine made in 67. This one has most of the blueing gone but shoots outstandingly. I use it all the time.

And a Texan made in 69 (and this one is in real real good shape. So good I hate to shoot it.)

All work perfect. None have scopes. 30-30s all of 'em.. can't go wrong with an older Marlin.

Deaf

The OP was asking about NEW Marlins. Not ones made 50 years ago.

I looked at one of the youth models Jack O'Conner mentioned and I can't comment on the function but it looked like it was painted with the same paint a BBQ pit is painted with. No thanks, I'll pass.

if I get one, it will be ordered off of buds. I don't like the sound of the quality. since Remington moved to china and bought marlin it seems they are dragging another great manufacturer down with them.

Ok, just to be clear Remingtons and Marlins are not now, nor have they ever been made in China. There is a new factory in Huntsville, Alabama and an older one in Mayfield, Kentucky.

The quality at the new modern Alabama factory is reputed to be higher than the older one in Kentucky.

BTW- The reason for the move to Alabama was protest over the NY SAFE act.

Last edited:
336s were not made in Mayfield.
They were made in Ilion, NY.

In my opinion, current quality is better than right after the move to Ilion, but it is still substantially sub-par. Remington appears to have taken shortcuts with materials and heat-treating, and many rifles have major problems. (Some dangerous, in my opinion.)

Several stores in my area have stopped carrying Marlin firearms, at all, because of the quality control issues that have shown up in 336s and 1895s (new problems) in the last year to year and a half.

Hit the used racks, if you want a good Marlin.

If you don't like used rifles, and like to gamble, maybe you'll get lucky and end up with a half-decent Remlin.

1stmar said:
I have an 1894 in 357 mag. No complaints other than many sharp edges.

1stmar said:
I wasn't clear, my 1894 is two years old

I'd be very interested in the roll stamp, and date code on that barrel...

As far as I have been able to glean, no 1894C's have been produced since late 2012...

If you have an old one why not shoot it? It holds no collector value...I just bought one from 1974. Love it. I chose it over a new one. Shoot the one you have and forget the new crap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bought a 336w from academy about 1 1/2 years ago for $349. Keep it behind the seats in the truck. Its accurate, has a good trigger, smooth action, has never jammed and does what I want it to. It did take a couple of hundred rounds to break-in the action as it was stiff. Since I don't sit and admire the fit and finish on this one it fits the bill for what I wanted. (I have other guns that I sit and admire the fit and finish on):)

I had a Pre 64 Model 94 Winchester with a tilted barrel, this is nothing new. I can see where buying off the internet though how this would be a concern.

The new ones are very good. The worst ones were produced between the Marlin employees finding out they were losing their jobs and the end of production. The first couple of year of Remington production were in my opinion sub par. Now, fine quality firearms. They also carry a very high price tag, for what they are.

I bought one last year and it has been good to me so far. I am a huge fan of the marlin lever guns.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back