New manufacture Springfield Garand Quality?

deadcoyote

I'm looking into buying a Garand and it seems like all of the GI surplus Garands are in pretty terrible shape in the 700-900 dollar range. The new springfield Garands are only running $1050. Are there quality control issues at Springfield? Would i be better off spending the 1200-1500 on a better grade surplus rifle?

shop around, dont buy on impulse. there are good m1 garands available. check out the cmp if you are in the US, they have good prices.

Guy I shoot with all the time just took delivery on a new Springrfield last week. He's only shot about 20 rounds through it thus far. I was at the range with him and it performed flawlessly. He had no problems sighting it in and it's very accurate based on the first trip to the range.

Seems to be well made and he's quite satisfied with it based on his initial trial.

Springfield has excellent customer service too.

+1 for the rifleeer.

The S, Inc. M1 (7.1 million series) seems to have somewhat dodgy dimensionality. One, for example, had the op rod track actually closer to the rifle centerline at its front end than at its rear.

Get a CMP Garand. Get a copy of The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide so that you can properly evaluate that which you examine. The Garand action is an extremely robust design, that is, you can make it surprisingly wrongly and it will still work. The M1's receiver may be the most difficult gas US rifle to manufacture; that's why the genuine ones are worth the effort.

Regards,

Walt

I've been thinking about a new Springfield as well, are they that bad or just the odd duck coming off the line bad?

My CMP Correct Grade M-1 Garand just arrived last week

I haven't shot it yet. It looks good, though. No apparent corrosion or pitting. The stock has some dimples, but really looks quite good. Plan to shoot it within the week, and will let you know how it shoots.

That said, due to massive numbers of orders after the 08 elections (including mine...) it took almost five months from initial order to receipt of weapon.

I'm just sayin', for the grand you invest, you can get a real Garand that will increase in value.

Not depreciate.

Regards,

Walt

I am currently perusing the Springfield Armory's website, they don't list Garands any more. Did they not have only a limited run of new-build rifles, based on a number of receivers they had once had in possession? And that they ran out of? Does anyone have definitive info on that?

Back