New Makarov...Wow!

K80Geoff

Just picked up my newest gun, an E German Makarov. All I can say is Wow!

This is an incredible gun, well made, smooth trigger. And the breakdown procedure amazes me! Simplest gun to disassemble and clean.

To think that I spent a considerable portion of my young adult years facing down E German border guards who were carrying this gun when I was humping an old worn out govt 1911.

Damn Russians know how to design weapons, even a dimwit could take care of this gun:) Jeez:)

The gun was made in 1960, has some holster wear but the bore is pristine. Only one mag and I think the mag is not german. This has to be the best bargain in reliable compact CCW guns.

Geoff Ross

Welcome to the Mak owners virtual club. In case you haven't run across this site, check out:

http://www.makarov.com

Karl, the owner, has East German magazines at good prices. I've bought some from him, they're like new.

Great site, and there's a link to Dan's Ammo where you can get good ammo a good prices.

One thing I always recommend is to pick up the magazine loader gizmo at the makarov.com site...best 5 bucks I've ever spent.

Also, you might want to search the TPL forums for Makarov postings, there's a wealth of info here. Enjoy your Mak...

Owen

I second oweno's suggestion to get more magazines from Karl and the magazine loader. I also got & recommend the Makarov Pistol Operators Manual - translated from the original Russian. I also got a #19 Wolff recoil spring from him too.
Enjoy your E. German Mak, I certainly like mine. It was made in 1962. There is a little bit of info. at http://www.makarovinfo.com but makarov.com is the definitive source.

Just tried the makarovinfo.com link to make sure it works. It doesn't, I know that address is correct, maybe it is just down for awhile. Try later.

Welcome to the "Mak culture" :)

I have a Russian Baikal and a Miltex Special Edition in polished chrome. Great little guns. Prices are starting to go up. There is also a Makarov Club run by Karl and another fellow over at Yahoo Clubs. It is at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/makarov. Not a lot of chatter over there, just important stuff. Most recent addition is the arrival of new bullet molds.

Best wishes,

-10CFR

K80, welcome to the club. I have an East German Mak, made in 1962, it came with two mags and a german field holster all for a whopping $149 and I have to say it is one of the best handguns I have ever owned. I have put 600 rounds through it both ball and hollow points and have never had a problem. On good days at the range I can shoot 2" groups off hand at 25 yards. It shoots as good as handguns I own that cost 10 times as much. And like the others say, check out http://www.makarov.com and you will find a ton of accessories. I bought a very nice leather shoulder holster from them that is almost identical to a Galco Miami Classic and for only $65. They have great deals on mags, I bought 10 East German mags for $40. Well welcome to the club and enjoy.

Is any place still selling East German Maks? I haven't been able to find any so far. I want to break in my new C&R license with one...

Welcome to the "Makarov Connection Club" I have two Makarov's one east german 1960 and a unissued Bulgy. Both guns are super and excellent quality but at a dirt cheap price.

Solid steel construction, and will not choke. They are like the former Eastern Bloc: tough and rugged.

East German Makarovs as well as Russian ones are the best, IMHO. The Bulgarian and Romanians are excellent as well, but may have rougher finishes.

As for the Chinese Makarovs, they are truly a mixed bag. I have seen ones that rival the East German or Russian ones in terms of finish quality, construction, reliability, and overall feel. Then again, I've seen many which are constructed of inferior steels, and did not have the ironclad reliability of the European ones.

Thanks for the info folks. I have ordered a pearce grip and will be getting some mags and mag loader from the Makarov website.

The gun was previously owned and was on consignment at the local shop. I probably paid too much for it ($250, but everything is more expensive here in NY) but that doesn't bother me as it is in great shape and the inside is clean and doesn't look like it has been fired!

In studying the makarov website I notice the the gun is NOT stamped with the name of the German Manufacturer, and the slide has "Germany" stamped over the german square circle marking. It came with that cheesy brown plastic grip with the star.

OK who has recommendations for a holster, I would like to use it for CCW. Preferably IWB.

Geoff Ross

I'll second Pussball on this. My 62 EG is my off duty piece, and rides in a Falco shoulder rig which converts to a belt holster. Superb quality and the price is right.

Welcome to Mak Land!!!! Watch out though, these are addictive little buggers!!!! I started out with one. Now I have three. :)

Back