New Lever Action

Schlitz 45

It's been 40 years since I had a lever action rifle & I've been shopping for one in 45 Colt to team up with my Vaquero for over a year. Picked up a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited manufactured in 1997 (JM stamped barrel)in like new condition last week. I looked at everything I could get my hands on & this was "the one". It's a pound & a half lighter than a Henry & has side eject that I like better than the Winchester's.
Put a Skinner Express peep sight on it & tried out some hand loads last Sunday at 60 yards mostly to see if I was going to have to add a new front site, but I think I'm good for now. Sure feels good in my hands.
mR0Zy3xl.jpg

J2FbEk7l.jpg

There just something about bolt and lever action rifles that can't be replicated with a semi. I could sit and fire one of those all day. Very nice looking rifle.

Nice photo and gun. I also have Skinner peep sights on my marlin (1895). I went with the Skinner brass rear sight and sprung for the matching brass front blade too. Get the barrel insert spare aperture carrier, even if you dont carry a second size insert if you ever need to take it out and go to the .200 "ghost ring" (when it gets dark or rainy or foggy) it's super hard not to loose the dog gone tiny aperture without somewhere secure to screw it!

I did infill the dovetail where the buckhorn sight was removed & thought about getting the one that holds an extra aperture but decided on keeping it clean & uncluttered. Also removed the cross bolt safety & replaced with a saddle ring from Beartooth Mercantile. My 1st centerfire rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30 with a 4x Redfield scope that I bought at J C Penny’s for $119.95 on sale, Mom had to sign for it as I was 16 at the time & took my 1st deer with it shortly after. Unfortunately I didn’t hang on to that one but this one’s going to stay in the family.

That is a great looking rifle. Love your leather butt “pad”. Nice stuff!
Early on while researching lever actions I watched a Hickok 45 video with the same rifle & his had a similar pad.
I needed a bit more length of pull & when I picked up my rifle the shop just happened to have one that was a perfect fit & the owner threw it into the deal.

Back