New LC9S Pro, slide lock

imagunnut

Been carrying the LC9S, love it. 2000+ rds, eats everything I feed it, no problems. So far just as reliable as my G19.

Bought the Pro model this week ( same exact gun but no safeties), loaded a full mag (7), got slide lock after 2 shots. At first I thought FTF. Nope. Magazine still locked in, cartridge sitting in the mag waiting to get stripped. Slide was simply locked back like it was empty. Racked it and dumped the rest of the mag.
Out of 200 rds, slide locked back 8 times.

Took back to the LGS, they thought I was limp-wristing. I did not experience any type of FTF/FTE. They cleaned, test fired and I picked up, shot another 150 today, 5 slide lock ups. Got it all on vid.

Any idea what's causing this? I know, it's a Ruger. For me, it's a dream to shoot and very comfortable to carry. I'll be sending back to Ruger but I wanted to get an idea beforehand, just in case.

Have you checked the bullet shape? It is not uncommon for reloads or even some factory loads to have bullet shapes that result in the bullet ogive engaging the slide stop. It is also possible for the slide stop to be incorrectly made or installed, but I would check the ammo first.

Jim

Have you checked the bullet shape? It is not uncommon for reloads or even some factory loads to have bullet shapes that result in the bullet ogive engaging the slide stop. It is also possible for the slide stop to be incorrectly made or installed, but I would check the ammo first.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I hope that isn't the case, that would make this gun very finnicky ammo wise. My S model eats anything, I hope Ruger didn't screw themselves by removing the safeties and inadvertently making the gun WORSE.

My thoughts are:

Thumbs: are you engaging the slide stop with your hand/thumbs? Perhaps the gun came with a weak slide lock spring to keep it down down against inertia or mild contact with your hand.

Hand cycle a few of those same rounds slowly as well as extract some empty cases slowly by hand. is anything contacting the slide lock?

How much play does the magazine have? If you wiggle the mag or push up on it, does any part of the mag body touch the slide lock?

The fact that he already has a regular LC9s (non-Pro) that does not experience this leads me to the conclusion that it is gun-related - not anything he is doing wrong.

Have you tried switching magazines? Take the mag from the LC9s and use it in the Pro model. That would at least eliminate one variable.

With over 2k rounds on my 9S "Cali model", I'll have to rule out thumbs. I GoPro'd the lock ups at the range to show the LGS. Even shot one handed, thumbs nowhere near the slide lock, still locked up twice out of 3 full mags.
I brought a few extra mags, no perceptible difference from the 9S other than the spring tension on the new mag felt a lot tighter.

dyl: I tried cycling a couple live rounds, never thought of cycling spent cases though. I wasn't experiencing the normal malfunctions so beyond that, my skills at troubleshooting ends there. Locked the slide back manually a couple times, there was spring tension on the lock lever so it was a mystery to me.

Anyway, called Ruger and the girl suggested that the slide lock spring was bad.
They just got it yesterday so I'll post the results as soon as I hear back from them. Thanks for the replies guys.

Just a follow up in case anyone is interested. Ruger repaired the slide lock spring. They did not elaborate on how this may have happened. Got it back in a little over a week. Awesome service!
Will be running the gun hard sometime this week, should be GTG.

Back