New Kreiger bbl in AR-10 shoots

HiBC

IMG00103-20110604-0922.jpg

Not sure this pic will post,but it is 3 shots inside 3 in at 600 yds.Little brother had around 5000 rds thru his original bbl and it was loosening up .He ordered a 20 in fluted Kreiger NM bbl.He got it Fri,installed Fri night,this was shot Sat AM.Load is 168 gr Nosler Competition bullet,ww brass,Varget powder,just over 2700 fps.He is happy.

I knew when I posted somebody was going to complain about the three shots.Somebody always has to pour the negative gravy.I did not represent it as anything but what it is.It takes zero nothing to make your comment.He was verifying his elevation at 600,first time out with the new bbl.He e-mailed me the pic from the field to let me know he was happy.Why use up the barrel shooting ten shot groups?To satisfy you?
Kreiger made a good barrel,and its an accurate rifle.
I seriously doubt you have ever put together anything that shot better.I have noticed most of your posts are just rust.They do not offer or teach anything.

Last edited:
Heck,I;m impressed!!I did not do it.Kreiger,brother,Armalite,Varget,Nosler,Leupold all came together.
No claim made for statisical criteria,I do not claim it makes it a .xxxMOA rifle.
Another thread just asked about under $4k accurate 308 semi-autos.This is not a sure thing prediction,but it points to one of a number of possibilities.
And,it is possible,with a little load tickling and the brand new wearing off the bbl,it will shoot a little better.The3 shot group was shot in northeastern Colorado with a 5 mph crosswind.
Lapua Brass and Sierra MK's is supposed to shoot a little better.

hm, is the barrel something you have to make fit, gas port etc? i have a early ar10...the one with the welded recoil check. i have often wondered about a match barrel with no dial a duck on the end of it....thanks gents, bobn

What brother did,he bought a new bolt from Armalite and sent it to Krieger.He ordered the 20 in NM contour,fluted.It is a post-ban config,no threads,no pickle,just a crown.The gas port is drilled,and Krieger makes sure it is drilled into a groove.
Brother does have the reciever clamp fixture,bbl nut wrench,etc.He downloaded Armalites installation/torquing instructions.
Now,fair to say,it is not cheap.It was also approx 90 days.

As far as welded on pickles,I have been leary of them.Seems like some sort of distortion at the crown is likely as the weld solidifies and shrinks.Thats just my speculation,it may work fine.
To stay legal,you would not want to shorten a 16 in,but,if its a 20 in,or longer,cutting the threads plus whatever you think might be the heat affected zone,plus a recrown,is a reasonable thing to do.I have shortened two 24 in bull bbls to 20 in,gas system worked fine,and they are easier to shoot offhand.

Nothing wrong with a three shot, 600 yd group, nothing at all.

I just acquired a Garand with a new NM Krieger barrel, looking forward to how it well shoot. My AR10 has a 20" Noveske barrel that has impressed me, .5 or better moa with match grade and moa with surplus ammo. Of course these are select 3 round groups, a series of 10 rd groups would open that up.:rolleyes:

As far as welded on pickles,I have been leary of them.Seems like some sort of distortion at the crown is likely as the weld solidifies and shrinks.Thats just my speculation,it may work fine.

Properly done a pinned and welded unit should not effect the barrel. You only weld the very top of the hole and it's diameter is only large enough for the pin to fit.

Last edited:
Dude, no negative-gravy wash from me, I wish I was capable of shooting that well..... And I usually shoot my tightest, on a three round group!!~!~ bad---, shooting keep it up!~:)

That is really tight for 600 yards! My riflesmith recommended Kreiger as well when I was thinking of a rebarrel job on a 700.

Lots of folks have put such 3-shot groups on paper at 600 yards; even 1000 on rare occasions. It indicates the system will do it. How often is what's important. Starting out that well is great. Keep it up, kiddo, and you'll have to step outside to smile 'cause the grin on your face won't fit indoors.

The best built 7.62 Garands and M14's shot that well; 80% of all shots with good commercial .308 Win. match ammo did that; they shot no worse than 4 inches at 600. And the US Army's AR10's setting a team record at last years Nationals will do that well, too.

Agreed with all you said,Bart.

I'm small time with limited resources and I'm a mediocre shot.

I was commenting on the feedback from someone else about using a powder measure.The ammo used to fire that group was loaded on a Dillon progressive with WW brass and primers.

A lot of credit goes to Krieger barrels.

Here is a pre-antelope season zero check,165 gr Ballistic Tips.

No claims being made,other than what we are doing works OK for us.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457562

I knew when I posted somebody was going to complain about the three shots
OK, let's see:
* Received the barrel Friday
* Installed the barrel Friday night
* Shot the rifle Saturday with no time for load development or testing different loads.

Yep, I agree, it's a shooter! 1/2 MOA is very good. After you get the loads developed, it should be a screamer!

Back