New Kahr K40

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWM

Hello. Has anyone who owns a Kahr K40 had any problems with it and if so, what? If you have fired a whole lotta rounds through it without a problem, I'd like to hear about it also. I'm curious since I just purchased one this week.

I used to be a Glock fanatic and was obsessed to put it mildly about my G26. However, after renting a Kahr K9 and K40 this last weekend, my Glock immediately became a trade in on Monday. I still love Glocks, and miss my G26, but the Kahr fit 1,000 times better in my hand and consequently, I shot that much better with it too. Both Kahrs were great to shoot but I seemed to be more accurate with the .40 and didn't notice much added recoil.

Also I have a question about the K40's slide. It is just about a credit cards width wider than the K9's (.94" compared to .90"). Did Kahr beef up the slide any on the inside to handle the more powerful .40s&w cartridge?

I'm just VERY interested in learning all I can about my new little carry gun. Thanks for humoring me. :)

DWM ,

I too own a Kahr K40! I won mine
in a bet against my $500.00. I was
going to buy a K9 and was really
looking forward to the P9. I want
to have the "Elite" trigger
installed to reduce the trigger
pull distance. I am more accurate
with the G26 & especially the Kimber
.45acp. I am looking for a match grade
barrel to replace my stock barrel on
the K40. Apparently a match grade
barrel is not available??? That ticks
me off! I am not a fan of the .40cal
period , but after looking at the
ballistics and comparing foot/pounds
energy against other calibers , I was
impressed. I am going to post some of
my average velocities and energy stats.

38 special = 150fpe
380 = 200fpe
9mm = 1200fps = 385fpe
40cal = 1200fps = 500fpe
45acp = 900fps = 400fpe
357sig = 1300fps = 500fpe
357mag = 1250fps = 500fpe
10mm = 1280fps = 600fpe
44mag = 1200fps = 730fpe

I e-mailed Kahrs web site so many
times , I think they blacklisted me!
Breaking the Kahr down for cleaning
requires skill , its no simple task.
I want an aftermarket match grade
barrel for the K40!!! What do you
think of the MK9 & MK40?? Who ever
does not like my stats , post your
own. Mine were just averages , non
+p ammo , you have weak and strong
numbers within the same calibers.

------------------
"Al veda sane"

Let us know how many e-mails it
takes for you to get blacklisted
from the KAHR website. I think
my magic number was "20".

Hello,

I've owned a Kahr K-40 since they came out. When the gun first came out there were a few bugs with feeding (new gun blues), but the newer ones coming out of the factory are working 100% now as is mine. If there is a problem, Kahr fixes it immediately.

Mine hasn't jammed yet and it feeds the super widemouthed Winchester Silvertips all day long.

As stated above, disassembly is somewhat tricky, but it's worth the trouble for a Walther PPK-sized .40 S&W.

Mine resides in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy pocket holster (90%) or a Bianchi Bellyband (10%). It might seem a bit heavy for a pants pocket, but it works fine for me.

Also, try the MMC adjustable sights for the Kahr. Had a set of bar-dot tritium put onto my K-40 and I love them.

Good shooting.

- Anthony

Anthony,

I noticed in an old post that you mentioned that you had put on MMC Bar-dot tritium night sights on your K40 (Somewhere in Dallas area?) I visit Dallas frequently. Where did you go?

My local gunsmith is pretty good. He installed the Trijicon sights on my Glock and they were dead on 760 rounds later before I sold it. Is installing sights that much trickier on a Kahr because of the dovetail?

Thanks, DWM

Shortfuse:
What kind of availability date did you get from Kahr on the P9? I love the feel and trigger pull on the K9 but it's too heavy for my liking. At 15oz, the P9 sounds inviting, however I'm suprised to see the mag capacity is only 7 rounds. Also, what's the deal on the "elite trigger pull" option? Who does it and for how much, or is that a factory option? Although the pull is smooth, I've always felt it was a litle long.

Also, why don't you quit whining and buy a P-11, then you can give us your first hand account. If you get one that works you can't beat it for concealability. What do you have to lose but $200? It won't be the only CCW you own, so you have the flexibility work with it until you are convinced of its reliability, or trash it, which ever comes first.

[This message has been edited by George F (edited August 20, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by George F (edited August 20, 1999).]

I've owned the k40 for about two years now. As of last weekend, I've put over 3400rds through it without a problem.

bauldy

George F ,

The Kahr "P9" will be available at
the end of 1999 according to the guy
that answers the Kahr email. He won't
tell me what month. He also is not
answering anymore of my emails. One
reason why Keltec is so successful
is because their customer service
is outstanding. Something the rest
should follow in order to achieve
repeat clientle. The Kahrs are single
stack pistols for concealability. The
shorter trigger pull is due to the Elite
trigger , which comes from the factory
in the "elite versions". Mine which is
not an "elite" would have to be sent back
to the factory at Kahr for the upgrade.
Apparently all the P9's will have "Elite"
triggers , reducing the pull distance.

"quit whining about the Keltec P11 &
just buy one". Very funny , your right
I should just buy one & see what
happens. Its a great prototype! Low
weight , high capacity , thin at a 1"
width & my favorite the belt clip!
The problem with the G26 , it's too
wide & NO beltclip! If the P11 starts
to malfunction , who is gonna buy the
dang thing? I really want an aftermarket
K40 match grade barrel. I can't find
anyone that makes the damn thing. I will
have to send the K40 to Kahr to get the
Elite trigger installed. I asked them
if I could do it myself , "NO ANSWER" as
usual. Damn that's annoying.

------------------
"Al veda sane"

DWM, I'm not Anthony but maybe I can answer your question. MMC resides in the same offices as Innovative Weaponry (P-T nightsights) in northeast Ft Worth. You IWI installs their inserts in the MMC sight. I have two of them done with an orange-green 3-dot arrangement.

I just got an older E9 really cheap a couple of weeks ago. It had been carried alot but fired very little. I took it to the local bunsmith for a coating and ended up going with a very dark OD green teflon. I can't wait to get it back. It shot great, and will be my primary off duty gun. I will still have about $100 less than a new E9 much less a K9. I love this one so much, I plan to get a K40 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back