New iOS App Feedback Request: Range Book

S McGavin

Inactive
I recently released an iOS app called Range Book to the App Store and I’m looking for some honest feedback.

Range Book is a simple log for keeping track of visits to the shooting range. Currently, you can save target images with data about your range visit and record data about your guns and ammo. Also, if your phone has a passcode, your data is fully encrypted.

See the iTunes page for more info and screenshots: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/range-book/id1441607048

I’m looking for some honest feedback about the current state of Range Book. Basically, I’m unsure where to spend my time improving the app and I wanted to gather some feedback to make a more informed decision.

Here are a couple questions that would be incredibly helpful to hear your thoughts on:

• Are you interested in downloading Range Book?
  • If you are interested in downloading Range Book, what would you like to see that would make you want to leave a 5 star review?
  • If you’re not interested in downloading Range Book, what would you like to see that would make you to download it?
  • Any other thoughts or feedback?

Thank you for your time!

Is there room for detailed load data to be input with each target picture, like brass, powder, charge weight, primer, etc. or just the basics??

How many firearm logs can be set up, etc??

Today I would not be interested in a range book, but several years ago I might have. Several years ago I just started reloading and I was looking at different powders, loads, bullets, and primers. I kept track of things at the range with a mini Composition book and pencil. I thought of using the notes app on my smart phone but I wasn't smart enough to use it properly. Good luck with it. I would have tried it several years ago.

@jpx2rk there are no specific fields for all of that now, but there's a notes field you could use to enter whatever you want. I haven't done any hand loading myself yet, so I'm not very familiar with what's needed there, but I'm open to adding that as a feature.

Am I understanding correctly that you expect people to PAY $3 to become beta testers for your app? I already know three people who have said "Thanks, but no thanks."

I saw the notes field but if you want people to pay for your app then you need to make "easy" for them to use.

Most people would want to note the brand of brass used, powder, charge wt, bullet, primer, COAL, etc. depending on what stage they are at in load development. Most people just write it on the target, and take a picture, which is not difficult, and sometimes easier than typing the info into an "app" on the small keyboard..

Look thru the reloading forum, and you see the type of info people post about their reloading experiences.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

@Aguila I currently use it and think it's worth at least the cost of a few cartridges. I was more looking to find out what other people want in an app, since I know what I want out of it, but I can't predict what others are looking for.

@jpx2rk Part of what made me start this app was trying another app and getting overwhelmed by the number of fields when I just wanted to record some basic data on what I was doing, like which gun and factory ammo and what drill I was doing at the time. It sounds like it would be useful to have a specific place for load data, so I'll try to find a way to incorporate that without it feeling like you're doing your taxes for every target.

Back