New Interested in BP Pistol

cheetah44

Inactive
Been shooting all kinds of guns since I was 7 or 8 years old, but have recently developed a burning, really hot, burning desire to own and shoot a cap and ball revolver. I have looked at the guns that don't have a back strap over the cylinder and they look kind of weak to me and with no other knowledge of such guns have steered clear of them. Since I discovered this forum I figure there are enough folks out there with common sense and experience with this sort of thing that I could get some good advice.

Are there cap and ball pistols that I should stay away from, models that aren't strong enough for lots of shooting....I like to shoot alot....or manufacturers to shy away from. Any advice will be much appreciated.

If you want the strongest gun for the money Ruger's Old Army is the answer! You should be able to get a Blue one with adjustable sights for about $350 on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica and since they are BP can be shipped directly to you. I just bought one Stainless Steel unfired on GunBroker last week for $350 which is a good buy and there were others in blue for $300 - $400

Don't let the opentop Colts put you off, because they look weak. They aren't. The design is really quite good. You can even get conversion cylinders to fire cowboy action rounds (metallic cartridges). They really have a nice historic look to them that you will come to appreciate if you own one.

The open top colts are strong. As for frames, a steel framed revolver is
probably the way to go as brass frames may shoot loose with alot of firing.
Brass frames are more for historical purposes such as reenactments. For the
extra money spent on a steel frame, you can't go wrong.
The two most common manufacturers of the BP revolvers today would be
Pietta and Uberti. The Uberti's are supposed to be better, fit and finish wise,
but Pietta makes high quality pistols as well. Shy away from Palmetto Arms.
I haven't heard much good come from them.
Well, anyway I got a Pietta 1860 Army for christmas. It seems well made
although not as nicely finished as my dad's Uberti Dragoon. I have not shot it yet, but I am convinced.
If you want a stronger frame, go with an 1858 remington, although open tops are very strong.
But then again, if you have the money, the Ruger Old Army would be the ultimate way to go.

Check out Cabelas or Dixie Gun Works. They have quite a selection of BP firearms.

I have owned a total of 4 Pietta's.

The first was a stainless steel 1858 Rem .44 cal......pd $200. 10yrs ago and sold it for that much, the others I still have.

Second blued steel frame 1858 Rem .44 cal target model (adjustable sites) that I converted to shoot cowboy cartridges.... pd $150.

Third 1858 Rem brass frame .44 cal....pd $110.

Fourth is an old navy sreel frame .36 cal "open top" (I think it looks the best)...pd $125.

I purchased all of them from Cabela's.

They all shoot very well and they are extreamly fun.

Thanks

Thanks for the input folks! I think I'm going to go with the Uberti or the Ruger. I looked at both in the gun shop the other day and like them both.
Thanks Agian

I've got a Pieta .44 colt-style that i shoot on ocassion. Other than all the time it takes to clean it, its a sweet shooting pistol. Alot of fun for those days when you just want to shoot something "different".

They're just like it says in Steve Earle's song "Shoot's fast as lightning but loads mighty slow..."

I've owned and shot BP firearms since I was about 14. That was just about the time Noah disembarked from the ark.

I've owned everything from $30 pieces of junk to some good quality pieces, rifles and pistols, both flint and percussion, made by Uberti and Pedersoli, and others. I must admit that I am a certified Civil War history nut, so I prefer CW era revolvers and currently own two; both Pedersoli replicas. One is a replica of an 1860 Colt Army and the other is a replica of an 1858 Remington Navy, both in 44 cal. However, I do enjoy shooting my Pennsylvania long rifle in 45 caliber. I had trouble acquiring 4FG BP for the flash pan though.

It is sad that it is now difficult to obtain real black powder unless one has a FFL. Although Pyrodex is cleaner and easier on firearms, I don't like it as much as the real stuff.

I hope y'all enjoy black powder shooting and ownership as much as I do.

Michael

Back