New Hunting rifle suggestions

Rebsfan96

Inactive
I'm in the market for buying my first hunting rifle. I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions. I mostly will be hunting deer. I was thinking .243 but am up for suggestions on that also. I'm a pretty big guy, but don't have a ton of experience with rifles, so I don't want to develop a flinch. So, what's a good rifle to buy?

This is based on nothing but personal experience and my own sense of aesthetics, but I'd highly recommend a Ruger Mk II Hawkeye, which comes in a variety of calibers and stock configurations, I have one in .270 and 7mm Rem Mag; both in walnut stocks.

If you're worried about developing a flinch, and assuming local laws allow, may I suggest using the .223 as your deer round?

That's kind of like asking "what kind of car should I buy". Lots of good choices, some bad choices. What is your budget? Do you have any shooting experience? Do you have hunting experience? What are the conditions under which you'll be hunting? Are you wanting to stick with locally available ammo or are you willing to buy over the internet? I'm sure there will be other questions asked too but there are a ton of variables at play here and we'll need more information to lead you to a good choice.

I do have shooting and hunting experience, and I would ideally like to stay under $500. I would also like to stick to easily accessible ammo. Overall, I'm looking for a good bang for your buck rifle that I'll be able to keep for a long time.

New, Marlin XS7/XL7. Excellent rifle at a great price - not as pretty as some but a great value. Used - lots of possibilites. Nothing at all wrong with buying a used gun (in fact,I can think of only a few times in my life that I've actually bought a new gun). Lurk here for a few months and you'll start to form an idea of what people like or dislike about certain brands and models.

What about where you will be hunting? Walking around or sitting? If sitting, will it be in a ground blind, a tree stand, or a shooting house? The answer to this will determine the style of rifle. I.E. a shooting house overlooking a large field is going to call for a very accurate long-range shooter with premium optics. A heavy rifle with a longer barrel is an advantage here. A "walking around" rifle needs to be light and comfortable to carry. Its optics will tend to be low-powered because most of the shots will be relatively close (unless you are walking around in the mountain west). A tree-stand rifle will be somewhere in between.

Last edited:
Find a rifle that feels good to you and don't get too concerned with brands.

While a 243 will kill lots of deer, I think you'd be better off with a little larger bullet to help insure pentration

A 7mm08 is my favorite

.243 is a fine deer round, and ammunition is usually pretty easy to find. Stick with 80-95 grain bullets and you'll never have a problem, even on the biggest . There is noting to be embarrassed or ashamed about wanting to avoid excessive recoil and flinching, good bullets put where they need to be kill deer better than caliber size and bullet weight.

As far as to suggestions, the best one you got was to go around and handle a bunch of rifles. Find the one that feels the best in your hands in your price range and if they don't have it chambered in the cartridge you want see if they can get it. .243 is pretty much universally chambered in all hunting rifles produced so it shouldn't be a problem getting one.

Yep, a .243 for white tail deer hunting will be OK. Heck, I've spoken with gents at a private range I'm a member who have used a 22 Hornet for deer hunting for many years that have done quite well with it. But then, they have 50-75 yd shots where they hunt and can put a bullet just right for deer with their 22 hornet rifles. Personally, I'd recommend something like a 7mm-08 or 308 for deer hunting.

While a 243 will kill lots of deer, I think you'd be better off with a little larger bullet to help insure pentration

A 7mm08 is my favorite

X2 .. Hardly any more noticeable recoil with standard loads. With the reduced recoil loads its right down there with the 243.

Wally world will not carry 7mm08 but ya can find it most any other place and its no more than the average 243 cost.

Any of these budget guns will work fine for a first rifle.......Ruger american, Savage Axis, remington 783 , Remington 700 from Wally world, Marlin XL7.

7mm08 is harder to find than 243 and costs more. Anybody that says otherwise is a fan of the 7mm08. The most ubiquitous, and thus most economical, "Deer calibers", are 30-30, 243, 270, 308, and 30-'06. The 7mm08 lies between the 243 and 270 in performance, and between 270 and 308 in caliber. A good caliber, it does a similar job as the others, at a substantially higher price. Not a big deal for the few rounds you might shoot at game. But don't count on finding ammo for it at a small town feed and hardware store that always has 30-'06, etc. If you reload, local availability and price becomes irrelevant. The more powerful a cartridge is, the more recoil it will have in the same weight rifles. It cannot be otherwise.

The .243 is fine for deer, it's the perfect round for newcomers and veterans alike! Just make sure you pick the right ammo and it will serve you well for many years.

For a rifle within your budget you can not beat the Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP. For around $550 you get a good quality, very accurate rifle with a Nikon Prostaff scope. Which is one of the best scopes in their price point in my opinion.

Here's a link, I can't recommend this package enough for anyone starting out.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

@ Rebsfan96; This ^^^^^ exactly. I actually sound like a Savage salesman when I am faced with talking folks into an entry rifle when they're new to the game (though I'm a Winchester fan) because they are indeed reliable, solidly built and accurate. I have convinced a friend to buy the exact same rifle mentioned above.

A .243 is plenty fine for deer, but may I suggest a .308 simply because as other members have stated, a slightly heavier bullet provides a bit more penetration and a .308 is as common as they come, not to say a .243 isn't, but being new to the hobby the availability of 150 grain 7.62 NATO ammunition (same as a .308) could be a selling point because of the ammunition price. I say that because I assume you are not reloading, and you can save a lot of money for basic target practice at 60-65 cents a round.

My 120 lb Old Lady uses a Remington 700 VTR chambered in .308 (and she is prone to shoulder dislocation from military service) and can handle the recoil all day with no problems. Being that you said you were a larger framed fellow, I am sure you will not have any 'flinching' problems. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

They can all get the job done. My favorite for a bolt gun is 270 Winchester, preferably in a model 70 Winchester, but that's perhaps out of the price range originally intended, though a nice used post-64 could fit the bill. With 130 grain bullets, the 270 is not bad for recoil. Hot loaded with 150's and it's right up there with the 30-'06.
For a levergun I like a 30-30 just fine. It's really good within its limitations.
The 243 has a well proven track record as a deer cartridge and doubles as an excellent varmint round with a simple change of bullets.

For your stated price range I would look very hard at the Savage package mentioned above. I would not however buy it without first looking and handling some other brands to make sure it suits your needs in both fit and function.

To choose a cartridge I would look in your local stores to see what they carry and check prices. Keep in mind you want hunting ammo, not the cheap range fodder stuff that is attractively priced. 243, 308, 270, and 30-06 are all excellent choices in my opinion, ammo is usually easy to get and all offer ample power for deer hunting as long as you do your part and put the bullet where it needs to go.

A little more info would be helpful as to which rifle. Lots of options, but prices range between $300-$3000 depending on how much quality and other features you want. Lots of good choices, very few bad ones with bolt rifles. Pick the one that has the features you want at a price you are willing to pay. On the low end I really like the Ruger American priced at about $360. In the mid-price range ($600-$800) the Hawkeye and Winchester Featherweight get my vote.

If you're not planning on hunting anything larger than deer there is no reason to go bigger than 243. It is just about the perfect deer cartridge. Nothing wrong with the bigger calibers, and they would be a better choice for an all around gun that might be used quite often for game larger than deer. Even the 243 could be effectively used on game up to elk, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Check out the Howa 1500 rifles...a lot of bang for the buck. Buds Gun Shop sells them cheaper than anyone else I've found. A little on the heavy side but one heck of a gun for the money. For caliber, anything .243 or up but the .243 can pull double duty as a varmint round with lots of ammo choices.

I guess it depends on what you're hunting And hire far you plan on shooting. I like a Winchester model 70. Caliber depends on game/distances.

Savage 10/11 would be the best bet for a rifle. Get it in .243 to start with, later if you want to move up to a 7mm08 or .308 to get a little more bullet weight, all you have to do is buy the barrel and get a gunsmith to screw the new one in. Or you can do it yourself with a homemade barrel vise and a set of go/no go gauges.

For overall use, a lifetime in fact, you can't beat a .30-06 with a medium priced 2-7 power scope. With that rig you can hunt any game in the lower 48, from elk to woodchucks and be well armed. Savage makes a good rifle, and lately, their accuracy is superb.

You might try the used gun rack for a well-loved older hunting rifle in that caliber. Stock condition shouldn't be your #1 priority as you can easily refinish that to better than factory new. The bore condition and especially the muzzle are where the accuracy comes from. Any nick in the muzzle, or wear from running a cleaning rod up and down rubbing against that lip with the abrasive grit from powder and primer residue will soon take the gilt edge off even the best custom barrel.

HTH's Rod

Back