New Howa 1500 .223 on the Way

Martowski

Just called CDNN to order one of the Howa 1500 Custom Varmint rifles they have for sale. I got the .223 w/ the 24" version.

Anyone else own this gun? I know it's a similar action to the Weatherby Vanguard and have read a lot of good things about it. My understanding is that scope bases for the Rem 700 fit it, correct?

Will also be getting some optics to put on top... but that's a different topic.

Pls. share any other experiences or tips for this specific rifle if you have them. Thanks!

I have a WBY Vanguard w/sporter barrel and a S&W heavy barrel. Both shoot pretty good but neither likes any bullet over 55 grains. I tried some Blackhills using the Hornady 60 SP and groups were in the 3" range. Some PPU 69 grain HPBT was all over a 14" square target(this ammo shoots under 3" @ 350 yards from a 1/8 twist AR).

You can use 2 piece Remington 700 bases on your short action but if you want a 1 piece base you have to get one made for that action. I used an EGW 1 piece base on my Vanguard.

The Howa long actions will use 1 or 2 piece Remington 700 bases.

I have a Vanguard .223 (same action as your Howa) and I think they both use 1:12 twist so I believe you will have the best luck with 55gr and lower bullets. I tried some 60gr Nosler Partitions and they keyholed badly at 100 yards.
Dallas Jack

I have the .308 version and it out shoots my Rem 700, Browning Abolt, and Savage FP. My average 5 shot group is .66" @ 100 using factory ammo (using a shooting rest).

I also recommend the one piece Deadnutz scope mounts.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Not crazy about the trigger

Just bought one in a .308 and I am not impressed at all with the trigger. Not crisp at all.

lg_mouth

Just bought one in a .308 and I am not impressed at all with the trigger. Not crisp at all.

I have never seen a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard with a mushy trigger. I would give Legacy a call.

On the flip side, I've not owned a Howa that had a good trigger. The one on my Wby 257 had such a hitch in it that I finally had to replace it with a Timney. Move, catch, move, bang does not provide optimum accuracy.

Have never owned one,but talked to a lot of people that do. All i hear is great things about them. I have seen the accuracy of them and i was impressed. Im sure you will be very happy with it

Similar

That sounds a lot like mine. Not consistent either, might creep one time and not another. Bought the rifle used, so I am on my own with fixing it. Have to look into the Timney.

Lg_mouth

I know Jard and Rifle Basix also make triggers for the Howas/Weatherby Vanguards. Obviously I have no experience with them, but just thought I'd mention.

Anxious to see what mine is like. Saw one in a local shop this past weekend with a nice light and crisp trigger.

If it's like mine, you'll love it. I've heard more than a couple of criticisms concerning the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard triggers over the years but the one on my Vanguard, chambered in .257 Weatherby, is superb (and I'm pretty picky about trigger pulls). Maybe I just got lucky and, if that's the case, I hope you find the same good fortune.

Back