new Hornady sub-sonic hunting ammo

Mobuck

I saw the ads but seems I can't get my hands on any to test. Reportedly expands down to 900 fps.
Does anyone have first hand experience with this stuff?

The Sub-X line? I've been looking for it in .300 since SHOT but nobody has it in stock. Supposedly, only ammunition will be available, then maybe projectiles. An expanding subsonic bullet with a rifle BC at $1.10/rd should be pretty competitive though.

And if it expands down to 900fps? Even with a bad BC, that still gets you way out past where you'd ever use a subsonic... I'm guesstimating about 400yds using the BC of a Remington flatbase as a guess.

"And if it expands down to 900fps? Even with a bad BC, that still gets you way out past where you'd ever use a subsonic.."

Company info said something about 300 yards which is over 2X what I'd use this combination.
I'm looking for an over the counter sub-sonic load to meet the requirements of my muffler while killing deer effectively @ 100-125 yards.

Haven't seen it in the wild.

For that matter...
I haven't seen some of the older announced items yet, either. (Like .307 Win brass, or the .307 Win 160 gr FTX load...)

I've shot subsonic .300 to 250yds and it is close to plunging fire at that point.

But, if the piggies are on the BACKSIDE of a hill....it might come in handy to be able to drop the bullets out of the sky ;-)

Two boxes of this ammo showed up here today. Hope I can find some time this weekend to bust a few milk jugs.

The 208gr is just their VLD match .30 cal bullet loaded for .300 BLK. It doesn't expand at all. It can occasionally tumble;but it is going too slow to do much if it does.

Right now, the Sub-X is the only subsonic expanding .300 BLK available for less than $2/rd (that I'm aware of). It looks like it expands OK too.

From my crude testing, the "other" sub-sonic ammo using heavy target type bullets on water filled milk jugs simply tumbles or bores through w/o expansion other than losing the little red tip.
The ammo I just received has a tapered bullet profile with a flat meplat plastic insert in the sizable hollow point of the skived bullet jacket. From the appearance, I have no doubts it will expand at sub-sonic velocities.

Wouldn't be legal for rifle hunting here, I'll stick to supersonic 125 grain loads.

Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at
least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet
weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards
from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the
manufacturer's rating,

Should work well for those of you who can use it. I'd have to use a pistol, where I only need 500 foot pounds at 50 yards. I suck with a pistol! ;)

"And if it expands down to 900fps? Even with a bad BC, that still gets you way out past where you'd ever use a subsonic.."

Company info said something about 300 yards which is over 2X what I'd use this combination.
I'm looking for an over the counter sub-sonic load to meet the requirements of my muffler while killing deer effectively @ 100-125 yards.

Easy shmeasy! It's called cast bullet's. Have a load I used to use in my 30-06 with Red Dot powder. Less noise than a 22LR!Should be fine on under at the range you mentioned. I use the same bullet in a 308 running right t 2000fps that's not as quiet but will do out to beyond 125 yds. Getting ready for it with Red Dot next!

Back