New HK rifle

From what I have seen, it is a great rifle.

Everything you loved about the AR-15, except now it has a more dependable short stroke piston gas system, and H&K uses their own better magazines. Also something about a cold hammer forged barrel. I dont know what else has been changed. But just what I mentioned is enough to make up my mind. For me nothing beats the ergonomics and function of an AR-15... So building a better rifle out of it appeals to me. I hope they design one in a different calibre.

If they have truly come up with a gas system that doesn't dump all the crap back into the action then they may be on to something.

Wouldn't mind giving one a try. The other poster was probably right though Much $$$$

Not just a damn G36 because of the feel, ergonomics, balance, and function of the weapon. I love the G36 as much as the next guy, but if the AR was cured of it's issues, I would rather use a weapon of its shape and feel...

I think I've seen a couple 416 uppers floating around on Sturmgewehr - price is sure to be stupid if you can find one. POF has a similar type gas piston upper which I think runs about $900-1000, and as I understand it, Ares Defense (of Shrike notoriety) is working on their own version. As much as I like the idea of a piston driven upper, I don't think I'm willing to pay that kind of premium for it. However, once someone figures out how to mate the HK or POF piston system with the quick change barrel system of an MGI CQB or LMT MRP, I'll be in for one (or two, or three...).

It'll be interesting to see if these eventually experience the same key-shearing problems of the ill-fated Rhino gas piston system of yesteryear. I think both the POF and Ares systems use a standard AR/M16 carrier.

Leitner-wise is also producing one. Its been a while since I heard anything about them, so they might have bailed or bot bought out.

fanoblack

Leitner-wise is also producing one. Its been a while since I heard anything about them, so they might have bailed or bot bought out.

There's a thread on arfcom about this. LW is supposedly going to release more info about this shortly... but I've been on their "list" for these MRS uppers since last fall. :(

There are some of these upper out there now. They are going for $2300!! For the upper with no sights. There is a thread on Arfcom with some pictures from a guy that just bought one.

FN makes the SCAR, not Robinson.

scar_l-2.jpg

FN SCAR-L

I do like the looks of the XCR, but why did HK and Robinson both go with rail-mounted iron sights? Seems like a zero shift waiting to happen to me.

I wonder why HK did this? Their own G36 is an awesome weapon and comes in convenient barrel lengths; the G36K is a great carbine and I find its handling characteristics to be as good as the M4. One can add a rail system to the G36 handgaurd, so you can add as much crap to it as you like!

As an M4 clone, it should be more reliable because of the gas system; I found that M4s like the correct ammunition and did not like the cut tube propellant that we Brits put into Radway Green L2A2 rounds. We could not get consistent performace.

Any thoughts why cut tube propellant would not function in the M4?

Back