New HK 45

Stats Shooter

I decided to go a new direction for my home defense pistol. For the last few years it has been either a Dan Wesson Valor, or my Valkyrie (which is my heavy carry gun, light carry gun is sig p938).

But I decided i wanted a light on it (just in case) so i wanted a rail. I also wanted a DA/SA option so it didn't have to leave it cocked and locked either. I have to leave it in a lock box by the bed because i have little kids.

Anyway, i tried two guns, the HK 45 and the FNX 45, Also the FNX 45 Tactical. The tactical was a waste for me because i didn't want a milled slide, or threaded barrel since I wont be suppressing it, also meaning i didnt need the raised night sights.

So it was between the FNX 45 and HK 45. I wanted badly to like the FNX 45 better because it held a few more rounds. Price wise they were the same basically, the FNX 45 came with 1 extra mag but was about $50 more so by the time i buy a 3rd hk mag they were within $10 of each other.

But the first thing i noticed was how much better the HK fit in my hand. It was like it was built just for me. Then there was the trigger. In both DA and SA i found the HK more to my liking. Trigger felt lighter on the HK with less travel to reset the sear. My groups out the gate with the HK were tight and there was no adjustment on my part needed. The FNX made me feel i had to adjust my grip a little and my hold to get things to tighten up. This is likely all me and my quirks, but I cant help the fact one fit and felt better than the other.

Then, after i bought the HK45, i stripped and cleand, then fired nealy 350 rounds without a single fte/ftf. It just worked.

On a family members FTX 45 tactical purchased 2 montha ago he had some issues with ftf's that have since resolved but still, like a glock, the HK ate everything righr of the bat.

I do think more is almost always better, but 11 (or 12 if i want to over fill the mag as these mags allow 11+1 if you push it, and still fed fine), with the comfort and ease that i can shoot this just seemed like a better choice for me.

This is by no means meant to disrespect the FNX 45 or the Tactical, but if it wasn't for the few extra rounds, it wouldn't have been much of a choice at all.

I still like shooting my 1911's the most, probably always will, but well made poly pistols have a place too.

More is always better in a vaccum.

You may very well be found dead with 11 casings and a slide locked HK45 at your side one day............that said I’m not a betting man but if I was I lay odds against it. :)

Congrats on the HK45. If you are new to HKs and or the paddle mag release, use your trigger or middle finger of your shooting hand instead of your thumb of your off hand like an “American” release. I think you will quickly find it is as fast and possibly faster and more efficient.

Enjoy it in good health.

Chris

You may very well be found dead with 11 casings and a slide locked HK45 at your side one day............that said I’m not a betting man but if I was I lay odds against it.

Having spent some time in the military training with hand guns a lot, and then continued to shoot long after, I have found that there are some guns I just shoot better than others. Sure you can train yourself to be proficient with anything with proper practice, and time. But there is something to not having to fight nature, and the comfort factor.

I would rather have a gun I am comfortable with and handles well for me than a few extra rounds. Also, you can get the 13 round mags for the HK too which I have heard are as reliable as the 10 round mags.

Reliability was another factor, not having any experience with either, I have not read very many folks who have anything negative to say on the HK 45 as far as reliability. So, for self defense, that is a big key factor.

Back