New here

canamkayaker

Inactive
Just joined the forum. A kayaking shoulder injury has put a hold on my whitewater obsession for at least 6 months. So thought I'd try deer hunting this fall. I just came home yesterday with a Ruger American XP predator edition in .308. I know it's an entry level gun but it fit the budget of short term disability pay. And I'm proud of it. I look forward to learning from you guys and chiming in from time to time. [emoji482]

I know it's an entry level gun but it fit the budget of short term disability pay.

Entry level from a reputable brand, which Ruger is, will still get the job done nicely, so congrats and welcome to the forum.

It looks like it has a threaded barrel and a scope rail but no irons.

All that is just inviting some nice shiny accessories to the party! :D

I put a Nikon prostaff 4x12x40 on it before I left the gun shop. Since then I ordered a A2 "bird cage" and a heavy bolt handle from eBay. Just to give it a custom look.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440703166.065638.jpg
This is Winchester ballistics on the left, and a $18 a box Winchester gray box on the right. Both in 150 grain. I'll be hunting with the ballistics. Estimated 75 yards step off.

I just came home yesterday with a Ruger American XP predator edition in .308. I know it's an entry level gun but it fit the budget of short term disability pay.

There are many folks that have hunted deer successfully their whole life with lesser firearms. There is much more to deer hunting that the firearm you carry, but I suspect you already know that.

I'm learning quite a bit pretty quick I think. I'm scouting 4-5 days a week. Just learning the deers activities, trails, and really just enjoying watching them! I've made my mind up, this season I'm only hunting for meat. If the meat happens to be wearing a nice Arkansas 8 point rack that'll just be a nice bonus. Here's a fun fact for you, the water trough I put out gets more activity than my feeders.

Back