New Henry Long Ranger

StillShooting

Finally got my Long Ranger, walnut stock, iron sights, 223/556

In the manual, the takedown instructions for cleaning appear to be "open bolt"

I'm going to want to take the bolt out for cleaning at some point.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions for removing, and more importantly, installing the bolt in this rifle?

Henry has an instructional video for the disassembly of the Long Ranger on their website. It shows how to remove the bolt and how to correctly time the bolt during assembly. Looks straightforward, but I haven't yet removed the bolt on my Long Ranger.

I use a Dewey pull through cable for cleaning instead of running a rod in through the muzzle. It works OK, obviously doesn't require removing the bolt.

If you can, report back on the accuracy of your Long Ranger. Henry claims that it rivals many bolt actions, but I have yet to see that level of accuracy.

Last edited:
Thanks

I'd read that Henry had an instructional pdf; a video is much better

I'm not chomping at the bit to open this rifle up but sooner or later I'll want to do a more thorough cleaning

I'd planned on using a bore snake. The Dewey system looks really interesting.

FYI there is a Henry Rifle Forum, at "henryrifleforums.com". It has over 3000 members, information specific to Henry rifles (and maybe revolvers now) and many Henry owners who can answer questions. You probably know that you can order extra magazines and other accessories through the Henry website; only once have I seen a spare Long Ranger magazine for sale in a store.

While I have internet access, I consider the lack of detailed, PRINTED instructions included with the rifle to be a "fail".

I see the advertise these rifles with having the accuracy of a bolt rifle. ......A good bolt action or a crappy bolt action??

Yes.

:D

That's what the description says. Its a front locking bolt, gear driven lever operated, somewhat like the Browning BLR and so SHOULD be better than the usual 1890s designed lever guns and probably on a par, or perhaps better than a lot of bolt action sporters of the past, and possibly still today.

IF you want some sub MOA tackdriver, it probably isn't the Henry, BUT, it might be, unless there is a written promise from the factory, you never know until you have the rifle in your hands and shoot it.

One thing I would recommend if you are going to get one of the Henry Long Rangers is to get several (at least 3 or 4) spare magazines, AT THE SAME TIME. Not for any kind of firepower, but for the simple reason that mags can be lost, damaged, or wear out, and if you don't get them NOW, if/when you do need a spare, they will be "unobtainium", or at least scarce and hugely expensive.

FYI there is a Henry Rifle Forum, at "henryrifleforums.com". It has over 3000 members, information specific to Henry rifles (and maybe revolvers now) and many Henry owners who can answer questions. You probably know that you can order extra magazines and other accessories through the Henry website; only once have I seen a spare Long Ranger magazine for sale in a store.
Thanks, I'll take a look

I have a Henry Long Ranger express chambered in 223/5.56 and for a lever gun it is quite accurate.

Is it as accurate as any of my bolt guns chambered in 223/5.56?

No.

But for a lever gun it’s accuracy is very good.

This is a 5 shot group fired at 100 yards with handloads I had worked up for my Remington Model 700.

And a 5 shot group with Russian steel cased ammo at 100 yards:

As you can see, it does alright (about an inch or so at 100 yards) with ammo that’s not specifically tailored for it.

I’m confident that if I spent some time working up loads for it the handload group could be shrunk by a third (it probably still wouldn’t cut groups as tight as my 700 though).

That said, I’m not interested in burning up the components chasing another half inch when it’ll shoot Russian Steel cased ammo (of which I have tons) as good as it does.

A few couple more pics of the rifle:

I’m sure the OP will enjoy his purchase as I surely enjoy mine.

It’s my sincere hope the OP comes back with a range report on his.

Dr.

Last edited:
Back