New h&K Carbines..

Rob Pincus

H&K has two new carbines that they have submitted to (no Hi-caps.. ever.. and semi auto) but they look very cool and are veyr light.

the USC .45 is a boxy MP5 wannabee with a sporterized stock and only a 10 round mag. Witha price point of about $1000 it'll take the place of that much too expensive 94 that a lot of people want.

The SL8 is a semi auto plastic .223 carbine that is sorta like a sporterized 53. it'll probably sell well too (at about $1500), though it'll sell great if someone modifies it to use AR mags... ;)

At one point, H&K did make a few G33 (designation is probably wrong) which took a Colt AR magazine. I've got a factory poster of such a gun hanging in my garage.

I was reassured today that no modification will be abel to be made. Apparently ATF made HK jump througha lot of hoops to get them inported. The SL8 mags will be SINGLE STACK .223s......

The rep said that they would be Calif. Legal. If they don't have pics at the HK site (sorry,, try www.HK.com ??!?) I can;t help ya. There was no literature available at SHOT, at least none that I could find.

www.HK.com comes up with an index for Hong Kong
I did a few diffrent searchs and came up with nothing.
If you find anythig let me know
I found a picture of the SL8 at
http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/sl8/sl8.htm
Thanks Kev

For the USC 45 the last issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcment has an article on the UMP 45. It is a 45 cal sub gun. The pics are of the fullout version, but picture a longer barrel and a thumbhole stock and it will probably be close. As to the "wannabee mp5" remark the article talked about HK being able to make the gun very easy in different calibers. It could very well end up being an mp5 replacement.

Jason

SAR is starting an "SAR ID Guide to HK Machine Guns (Part I: Pistol Caliber)" with this month's issue. Plus they have a write-up on the UMP 45 in the current issue.

as far as the "wannabe mp5" goes, the UMP is certanly not. The replacement for the mp5 series is the H&K SMG II.

bt

I have the USC 45. Shoots great and it dead accurate at 15-25yards. I haven't tried 50 or 100 yards yet.
The downside is that HK is having a recall on the UMP45 and USC45. The recall is not mandatory right now for the USC but is *highly* recommended. The turnaround time for parts replacement is more than 3 months. So far I haven't had any problems to report. When it breaks, that's when I'll send it in.
I've shot the SL8-1 also. Kicks major booty. That was my second choice in HK rifles. No reported problems or recalls with the SL8-1. These rifles are PC but I don't let politics mingle with my liking. If I like, I buy.

[This message has been edited by Spirex288 (edited February 18, 2000).]

A few threads on the SL-8 have appeared here. So far, most people object to it because the rifle is the creation of bad gun laws. Regardless, I bought one a few days ago since it offers the G36 system to sport shooters. After I take it out and test it, I will post my impressions. BTW, the above link to the field test is an informative review.

The HK website is www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/

I just ordered a few of the full auto versions of this weapon for my PD in .40 S&W.

I had a chance to fire a demo model in .45acp w/2 shot burst. It functioned flawlessly and was very controllable. The benefit of this weapon over the MP5 is the cost. We are paying $843 for the UMP's, whereas MP5's would have ran us about $1250 each. Also, HK is no longer accepting orders for the MP5 in .40 or 10mm. They are going to continue to produce the MP5 in 9mm variations. They will produce the UMP in .40 and .45acp.

Check out their website for the details.

Back