New guy to forum with Browning HP questions

swampyMO

Hello to all. Swampy here.

I'm a shooter and reloader from way back in my short pants days. I've had moderate experience with a lot of firearms, including scatterguns, rifles, & pistolas. Most of my handgun experience is with .22's, .45 (1911, of course), .45 Colt, and 7mm silhouette guns. I've never owned a 9mm but am seriously in the market.

For the last couple of years I've drooled over the Beretta 92, and given serious looks at the Glock (I've briefly shot both, but not enough to get a real impression from either). Not until recently, when I started shopping around and reading this forum, did I give a hard look at the Browning HiPower.

I must say that I'm really surprised at how much I like what I am finding. I love the way the HiPower looks and feels in my hand. Points well. Nice triggers on the ones I've held. There seems to be a good deal of respect and support for the HiPower from afficianados on this forum as well.

I still have some questions about it though, if anyone is of a mind to lend their experience with the HiPower:

Is the HP barrel stainless???

I've seen posts here that talk about some of the earlier HP's needing a barrel change and maybe a trigger job. Does this really make a big enough change in accuracy to make a difference???

How well does a HP handle lead bullet reloads??

How can one tell if he is looking at an early version, that might need work, or a later model that is OK as is??

I'm currently oggling a used HP in a local shop that looks virtually new, inside & out. A previous owner had a nice set of wide Millet sights put on it, otherwise it seems to be stock. The price seems right ($425US), but I am just not sure enough of particulars to know. The stamping on the frame says "Mfg. in Belgium, assembled in Portugal". It has the wider thumb safety too, not the tiny military version. Does this give any clues as to what model it might be???

I know that the HiPower was the successor to the 1911. What exactly are the changes/improvements that John Moses made to the 1911 design to make it into what we now call the HiPower???

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Swampy

Is the HP barrel stainless???
Not from the factory, though there are stainless steel aftermarket barrels available.

I've seen posts here that talk about some of the earlier HP's needing a barrel change and maybe a trigger job. Does this really make a big enough change in accuracy to make a difference???
That depends on the individual pistol. Most HP's I have seen could benefit from a trigger job and some would like a Bar-Sto barrel.

How well does a HP handle lead bullet reloads??
Just fine with its standard rifling. I had a polygonal rifled barrel from Peter Stahl put into my GP Comp and will not use lead in it, but for a factory barrel they are no problem.

How can one tell if he is looking at an early version, that might need work, or a later model that is OK as is??
On an early HP when you look at the ejection port you will not see an extractor. You will also see an oval shaped 'plug' in a cutout on the slide serrations. These would indicate a pre-1960 pistol. On any used gun only a competitent gun smith should determine if a gun is suitable for firing.

The stamping on the frame says "Mfg. in Belgium, assembled in Portugal". It has the wider thumb safety too, not the tiny military version. Does this give any clues as to what model it might be???
If is probably a MkIII, most were made with a finish that looks like black paint. There are upgraded finishes like polished blue or stain nickel available.

The improvements are: barrel bushingless design, high capacity magazine, no grip safety (JMB put that on the 1911 only at the request of the govt), a linkless barrel, and improved lock design.

Jeff,

Thanks for the good replies.

One note though..... you said, "On an early HP when you look at the ejection port you will not see an extractor. You will also see an oval shaped 'plug' in a cutout on the slide serrations. These would indicate a pre-1960 pistol. On any used gun only a competitent gun smith should determine if a gun is suitable for firing".

My request concerning whether or not an older gun might need attention was not so much worries over safety, but whether or not an older gun would need a new barrell to get decent accuracy. The identification of such a piece was the point in question.

Update: I put a payment on the HP I spoke of today. Will most likely pick it up next week after visiting my local sheriff for approval.

Anyone else have any comments about me original queries??? I'd be glad to hear all information possible.

Thanks,
Swampy

I bought my Browning HP9 back in 1989-90. I have fired just about everything through it and only had a few problems with Silvertips. The gun is still as tight today as it was 10 years ago. Simple, accurate and comfortable is the best way to describe it. I added some pachmayr combat grips and thats all. I use Speer Gold Dot for carry and UMC or Winchester FMJ's for practice. Good luck with your HP...

I have owned my Hi-Power since 1983. It is still one of my personal favorites and the most reliable handgun I have ever owned.

Mine has a factory barrel made from a 400 series stainless steel (yes, it is factory w/matching serial number).

Lead bullets are not a problem but honestly I have never had success with lead bullets in the 9mm in any gun. I shoot jacket bullets in all 9mm loads.

The Hi-Power trigger is not a work of art but there are several good gunsmiths that can improve that. Novak did mine along with a set of his excellent sights.

My pistol is not the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired but is is one of my favorite all time handguns.

And remember, nothing feels like a Hi-Power.

Good shooting

I have 3 HPs in 9mm and 1 in 40. The 9s all have original barrels (one is a 1968 model) and accuracy is excellent and on par with my Sig 228. I have a fitted BarSto in my 40 and accuracy was improved alot.BarSto makes a drop in barrel for the HP.

It sounds to me like you're looking at a MK III. The HP is a wonderful gun. If you buy it, you'll never regret it.
Like CCV, I've never had much luck with lead bullets in any 9mm. For practice ammo I buy the Remmington 115gr JHP from Midway in Bulk. They are very accurate and don't cost much more than lead when you buy a box of 1000.

Back