new guy questions

bakersdad

Inactive
Howdy, brief history about my short muzzle loading experience. Last year I purchased cva accura v2. I have only used blackhorn 209 powder with the blackhorn breech plug. I've used 245 grain and 295 grain powerbelts. I have finally gotten a satisfying group with the 295 powerbelts at 100 yds, with 100 grains by volume. This is with iron sights only. I'm in NV and will be elk hunting in Sept so that's our rules. Oh and use win 209 primer.

So the questions (peculiarities) I've encountered are as follows:
1) polymer tip getting stuck inside pocket of jag. I'm using the jag the palm saver threads onto that came with the rifle. Is this common? Or am I using wrong jag for powerbelt?

2)not sure what this is called maybe misfire? I go through my regimen of running a wet patch thru barrel after every shot. Put plug back in,. Load powder. Load powerbelt. Use palmsaver with good amount of pressure. Get on target, load primer. Pull hammer. Pfff. See dirt fly 10 yds max in front of me where something came out. Is this from powder or primer being bad or something else.

Thanks in advance shooters remember I'm a new guy so I'm sure you hardened journeymen remember when -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- wasn't working right and why.

I can't help with the type of jag you should use when seating a power belt. But when you run that wet patch (wet with what?) down the barrel, do you then run a few dry patches to dry the solvent or whatever out? If not it could be likely that the powder is getting wet when you load the rifle. I keep a stash of the individually wrapped alcohol prep pads in my bag to run down the barrel after a wet swab to ensure the barrel is clean and dry before dumping in the charge.

OK it's some pretreatment solvent patches by Thompson center. I'll dry that barrel after from now on.. as for the jag the polymer tip sticks in the female thread in center. I. Old modify with a bigger hole or find a more suitable jag.

Just ironing out the nuances. Not having a journeyman to guide me I'm working this out more through trial and error

sent you a PM with more info.
Some BP jags have a threaded hole in them, for screwing ball pullers to
to them or for patch worms.
You can fill it in with epoxy, or buy one that doesn't have the threaded accessory hole.

I don't do inlines, so not sure if they have a special seating jag shape for the poly tipped projectiles or not.

The way I'm reading it is that the polymer tip of the bullet is sticking in the ramrod end/tip when you're trying to seat the bullet.... Is that right? If so, yes you need to find a thread in combo cleaning jag / bullet seater that suits the bullet. If the tip is sticking the in the bullet seater tip, you are certainly deforming the bullet tip which can cause accuracy issues.

The way I'm reading it is that the polymer tip of the bullet is sticking in the ramrod end/tip when you're trying to seat the bullet.... Is that right? If so, yes you need to find a thread in combo cleaning jag / bullet seater that suits the bullet. If the tip is sticking the in the bullet seater tip, you are certainly deforming the bullet tip which can cause accuracy issues.

If that's the case then you're probably seating with the wrong end of the ramrod. I don't know jack about inlines, never even seen one up close but a traditional sidelock ramrod has a cupped end and a threaded end. You use the cupped end against the bullet. I would think inlines would be the same way.

Good old Learnig-Curve

Dad,
Starting out in this "Great-Adventure" can be a bit frustrating and we are all on a leaning curve. I would suggest the following. ..... :)

1) Starting out with Power-Belts, is pricey and in them selves present loading problems, I also "suspect" that you might be using pellets. I am cheap and have found that a PRB is very forgiving. That is where I starter, teach and mostly shoot at the range. ... ;)

2) The ballistic tip is hanging yo on your loading Jag. I recommend getting a special tip for you belts, like the Barnes jag. .... ;)

3) The only TC loading patch that I am currently using, is lubricated with Bore-Butter which of mainly Tallow. I may also swab with Bore-Butter between rounds. When I start a session and prior to the initial load, I use a patch with Denatured Alcohol. That will dry my barrel and remove any hydrocarbon oils, pop a cap with patch and rid in place and check the mud, on my patch. ..:eek:

4) Would suggest, for now, save those Power-belts until you get more confident in your loading. Keep in mind, that we are all on a learning curve, in this "Great-Adventure" ...... :)

Keep at it and;
Be Safe !!!

Thanks for all the input. The jag is not slotted, it's a brass piece with a cupped end for a bullet. In the center of that cup is a female thread. I will start drying my barrel better, and find a better jag for the bullet I'm using.

bh 209 does not require a spit patch. just shoot and load. of course if you are breaking in a new barrel that is a different story.

Back