New Guy ON Block!!

Frenchy

This is my first visit at TFL, as I tend to spend a lot of time at GT.
A question:
I am looking to buy a N.E.F. Handi Rifle. I have heard these are well made and accurate for the money. I thought a 223 heavy barrel might make a fair varmint gun. I'm a fan of the single shot rifle, and this is a heck of a lot cheaper than a #1. Any input from you guys would be great.
I've lurked around this forum for a couple of days, now, and find the posts quite informative. Hope I can add my 2 cents now and then.

Frenchy

------------------
Donnez-moi la liberté, ou donnez-moi la mort!

Can't help you with any firsthand news about the Handi-Rifle. It does get good reviews on the net though.
Let me be the first to welcome you aboard TFL :)

Welcome to TFL!

Dunno about that specific brand of critter, but the primary issue for a single shot is the quality of the cutting of the rifling.

I'd imagine you'll want to do some improvement to the trigger; most inexpensive rifles' triggers leave a good bit to be desired.

Somebody will turn up who's used one of these, most likely.

Again, welcome!

a bientot, Art

A pawn shop here in town has an NEF handy rifle in .223 with a heavy barrel, NIB. I can't remember the price, but e-mail me if you want to know more and are interested in them sending it to your FFL dealer. I've helped thme do this before, so know it is possible. I could help you contact them.

I know one varminter who has 3 handi rifles, 2 in 223, and another in 243. All have tuned triggers, tasco scopes ranging from 4-16 to 6-24 in power. Makes for a good day of dogging. If you handload your ammo you have to be careful becuase the action IS NOT as strong as a bolt action or a ruger #1.. its possible for the gasses to come right back at you in an over pressured load.
Try federal PREMIUM ammuntion and you'll be amazed at the accuracy of these inexpensive rifles.

Dr.Rob

Frenchy,

Welcome! You can find what is probably a complete product line of NEF Handi-Rifles at D&R Sports Center Online.

I have a .30/30 Handi-Rifle that has been "Ackley Improved". I love it. It is a deer and hog killing machine.

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 15, 2000).]

Thanks guys! You gave me a wealth of information on these rifles. Sounds like a lot of rifle for a little money. Thanks for the offer, yorec. SOG, who I have done business with for a few years, has them for $159.95.

Frenchy

------------------
Donnez-moi la liberté, ou donnez-moi la mort!

Back