New Guy New gun

GaryL

Inactive
First post. I found this board about 4 weeks ago when trying to decide which 9mm to buy. My thanks go out to all who post here. Lots of good advise. Yesterday I picked up my new CZ75B. As I live in the great ballot box stuffing state of Missouri cc is not an option. The gun will be a range gun and backup home defense. First newbie question. Do any of you have experience with Hornaday Custom 115gr JHP XTP. This was first choice of gunshop owner for hd. I have not seen this ammo mentioned as a favorite of anyone here. Was he trying to sell his inventory?
Second newbie Question. Can anyone recommend a gun safe that will hold about 7 handguns? Thanks in advance for all answers.
Gary

Gary,

Great pistol. I've got nothing but praise for the CZ lines. They're stout, well put together, accurate, and reliable. At first you might see some wear to the frame as it mates to the slide, but this will stop after a few hundred rounds. Some things to watch out for are the screw that holds the trigger assembly in place. It has the tendency to come loose if you shoot very hot loads. A bit of Loctite will solve that issue. Just make sure you use an appropriately sized flat ground screwdriver and don't over-torque. Hogue makes some nice grips for it and you can get some great holsters from M?D Holsters (http://www.gunsandgold.com/).

If you're interested you can still get new 15 rounds preban hicap mags from CZUSA (http://www.cz-usa.com/)at $40 each! Shipping is flat $8 for up to ten mags. In today's market that's a bargain. Next cheapest is from J&G Sales at $49.99 each. I wish I could find new preban P228 or Glock 19 mags at those prices. Once the supply dries up at CZUSA you can bet prices will escalate.

As for ammo, well there about as many different brands as there are opinions. Some folks like the 115, while others prefer the 124 and others still like the 147. Based on the recommendation of some experienced folks I went with the 115grs JHP, Federal Calssic. Others prefer the Corbon 115grs as its hotter.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Great Pistol! I certainly agree with many firearms journalists of late,many of whom were trying to "call"the last century that the CZ75 was probably the most underrated design of them all.Enjoy! I have found the Hornady XTP bulletts to be VERY accurate and reliable in the weights & calibers I have used.Most of my pistols also shoot Federal Hydra-Shok very well.

Hello all. The CZ75 is my second favorite 9mm pistol and is very close in that regard.
My fav is the MKIII Browning HP in 9mm. As to Hornady ammunition: In my experience, it's uniformly accurate and when I'm working up a handload that demands extreme accuracy,
the XTP is where I begin. In the past, Bill Wilson recommended their +P 200 gr JHP in .45acp for self-defense. The complaint that I hear about XTPs is that they expand only to
about 1.5 times their original diameters...which is what they were designed to do. However, when pumped up to higher velocities, I've noted considerable damage done in tissue on animals I've shot, primarily with 9mm. At standard velocity, their may very well be better defensive rounds than the 115 XTP,but I wouldn't be afraid to depend on it. It chronographs at an average velocity of 1167 ft/sec from my CZ 75. Best and good shooting.

Good choice, it was my first pistol also (actually the CZ-75). CZ-USA is pretty easy to deal with and parts are reasonable. If you hate the magazine brake, just remove the flat spring, bend it flat(er) and reinstall it.

Gary,

Glad you enjoy your CZ! Since everyone else has some info on loads and guns here is some safe info you asked about.
http://www.handgunsafe.com/

I have one of these, and like it alot. I also have a Gun Vault(old model), but I bought the handgunsafe to replace it. The metal on the handgunsafe is much thicker, as is the locking bolt. The gun vault used 8 AA batteries, which were a real pain to load and install inside the gun vault. The Simplex lock on the handgunsafe is straightforward to use, and won't stop working - like the gun vault when the batteries run down.

Shoot alot for practice and be safe!

JohnDog

I know nothing about your gun, but congratulations, on what sounds to be like a great gun!! ON the other hand, Hornady cutstom JHP XTP i do know some about. In fact i carry it in my Berretta Tomcat .32 cal. Great Ammo, its as accurate as the shooter, and has a great diverstiy of penatration and expansion once inside the body cavity. Unlike hydra-shok which transfers all it's energy on the initial impact (stopping the person in there tracks) but not causing the maxium internal damage to kill the person, maybe just knocking them down.

For example, shooting a large (300lbs or more) man with hydra-shok will knock him back but because of the desgin of the bullet, it will not penatrate very far, and depedning of distance and the size of the person you might, actually, have problems breaking the rib cage. Where as Hornady penatrates into the body farther before expanding to its maximum. Studies have shown that Hornady makes a bigger cavity, deeper inside ballistic gelatin. In self-defense terms that means "making soup out of your vital organs."

I hope this helps answer your questions on ammo. Have a great time shooting!!

------------------
when the govenment comes for you weapons, give them the ammo first

"shooting a large (300lbs or more) man with hydra-shok will knock him back"

Sorry, I can't let this one go by without comment. Bullets don't knock him back or blow someone off their feet or anything similar. If there's any reaction, it's due to muscular/nervous system reaction by the shootee.

Straight physics dictate that force delivered is no more than felt by shooter.
Equal/opposite reaction.

"In self-defense terms that means "making soup out of your vital organs." "

& "soup" doesn't happen neither.

------------------
Dyslexics Untie!

The enrgy transfer of a .45 ACP JHP dumping ALL its energy into a body has been equated using the laws of physics to closely approximate being hit with a well thrown baseball. If you can hurl someone off their feet with a pitch give up shooting and just carry the ball ;) or else play major league.

------------------
A Person Is Smart
But People Are Stupid

Mike H

Good luck with your pistol. in terms of ammo, I like Federal Hydra-Shok, but my (inexperienced) advice is: don't rely on advice. Try several different loads, and stick with what you shoot comfortably and accurately. Money well-spent in the long run.

Back