new guy here

southernboy

Inactive
Hey everyone. I'm new to the BP scene and I came across this forum. I've just ordered an 1851 navy squareback and I'm as excited a kid before Christmas. Could anyone give me the rundown on the tools that I actually need. I've always been leary of asking a salesman when he knows I DONT know. Not that they are all bad, but when it comes to spending money for nothing I try to be careful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Can't really help much with info as I am pretty new myself. However, there are a bunch of really smart, nice people on this site that have helped me. Welcome.

A set of professional quality gunsmith screwdrivers is a must to keep from marring screw heads and a plastic hammer for removing the wedge. I just use a plastic handled screwdriver tho.:D Before you remove the barrel for the first time notice how far the wedge protrudes on the side opposite from the wedge screw. Drive it in too far and it will bind your cylinder.(my 60 Colt is just a smidgen past flush) Do not remove the wedge screw, all it's for is to catch the lip of the wedge spring to keep the wedge from coming all the way out. You need a powder flask and a powder measure. Do not load chambers directly from the flask. If you have a hot ember in a chamber it turns the flask into a grenade. You also want to use lubed wads under the balls or put a soft lube like Crisco over the balls to prevent chain fires and keep fouling in the bore soft. A capper is nice to have but not necessary.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention, I did order a flask with it to. It is the Navy powder flask. The pistol is a Uberti 1851 Navy squareback. It'll be here Friday, and it was the last one in stock through TexasJacks. :)

OK welcome to the dark side.
First select your choce of powder, 777 is goodit cleans
up really ezzzzzzzy.
No 10 or No11 caps cci are good, and so are remmington.
Check to see what fits the best, you want them to be snug.
Get yoursellf a good nipple wench.
Round balls, my remmy takes 454, so it will be 454 or 457.
For lube i use my owen mix, crisco and bees wax to put
on top of the balls when you have loaded the cylinder,
some guys like wonder wads, but my mix i use on the
cylinder pin as well as lube on the ball your chorce.
Cleaning pachtes bore 13, bore butter.
There are lots of guys on this forum that have there owen
ways of smoking bp. This is just a small sampell,
there is lots more if you need, and lots of the guys
on this forum will help you out.
Shoot safe:D

Ummm, a Uberti 51 squareback is a .36. In fact ALL Uberti 51's are .36's:D
Most likely it will want .375 or .380's if the .375's don't shave lead.

Welcome to TFL. your addiction is about to start. so here is a rundown on the stuff you need.

Powder flask (holds powder from can)
powder measure ( meaures powder by volume)
nipple wrench. (to remove nipples good ones have a nipple pic)
capper (use to help put on caps ( a must if you have big hands))
wads (to cover powder and help reduce fowling)
lube ( used to help reduce fowling, aid in lubing and prevent chain fires)

Powder
bullets
caps.

if you have a local gunshop i would take the revolver there and have it matched up to see what caps you need #10 or 11. Then its ball time. you will need some balls that cut lead. (more will be explained in a minute). Powder, powder is trial and error and depends on whats available to you. Some are limited to 777 or pyrodex. I use real black powder.

Ok so you pull the hammer back one click. To half cock. the cylinder should rotate.

Measure some black. maybe 25grains should be safe for both 44 and 36 pour it in each cylinder. Then place an appropriate felt wad.

Unclip the loading lever an pull down to seat the wads to make sure they go in flat.

Take a ball. try .452 if its a 44 then pull down on the loading lever making sure you firmly seat the bullet. If the bullet is of the correct size it should have left a nice round ring of lead on the top. This will make sure the bullet is sealed good.

After you load all cylinders you will need to put some lube around the top of each ball. ( this is to help lubricate as well as to prevent chain fires)

A chain fire is when you pull the trigger and the flash/blast sets off another or all of the cylinders. Sending out 4 more balls in opposing directions.

Now once the cylinders are loaded put on some caps and your done.

Some good info there a lot of it I agree with.

Since you have a good flask coming then I hope that you will get a measure too.

Wads are nice to help in fouling & prevent chain fires but if you used either Crisco or Bore Butter over the chambers then you do not need the wads.

A good Gun shop will let you try fit either of the caps to see if the #10 or #11 fit the best but you may have to buy a tin & try them out at the range, although #11's are more common than #10's.

the best screw drivers that you can buy & fit's the screws perfectly will be worth their weight in Gold as you maintain your fine new revolver.

Being that you have a .36 caliber revolver, the .375 or .380 balls are your choice but again you will have to do a trial & error to find which one fit's the best & produces a good ring of lead when you load it.

Also 25gr. of FFFG black powder is close to a maximum load for a .36 caliber so 15-20gr. would be better unless you use the 777 then 10-15gr. would be where you should be shooting for.

Cleaning is easy either way with hot dish detergent & water, then use a little WD40 to displace the moisture then either Balistol, Olive oil or another natural lube would be best for your revolver.

I finally got it in the mail today. And i ordered it yesterday. Apperently they don't waste time sending out orders. I went to one of the local gun shops today. They had .36 hornadys and Hodgdon Pyrodex and triple 777. Now that I have all of this good information I can be on my way. I have a friend that knows a Texas state blackpowder champion so I'll be waiting to shoot until he can show me the ropes. It sure is perty to look at and hold though. Thanks for all of the info.

Back