New guy from aust just purchased my first rifle

Welcome to tfl and congrats on the gun. Looks like you picked a versatile and reliable rifle. It should serve you well for years to come.

Cheers lads after much looking around and research I decided on the 30-06 as my target will be mostly wild pigs and the odd feral cat lol for some reason in Australia every man and his dog has and swears by a bolt action , saying pumps are inaccurate !! After a few big chats with some American boys they were say there is hardly any noticeable difference especially for hunting , I dont know of its my ego lol or just the quick next shot but really lovin the pump action using a red field 3x9x40 scope seems to be the business !!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qq4jjb

I never think of pump guns just because the offerings are pretty slim and there is a noticeable difference in the accuracy but it's no greater than the difference between bolts and lever actions and you have to be using match grade ammo to really notice in the first place so 75% of shooters will never NEED the accuracy of a bolt action. I am a bolt fan but only because I am a big military surplus guy and love my enfields and springfields to death. I am a semi auto fan too but I find that I am much more likely to shoot way more than I had planned and ammo isn't exactly cheap these days.

That's a fair call mate it's definately not for competition target shooting its just my pig gun to take them down quick!! Using the Winchester super x as well does a great job dropping a 100kg plus pig with one shot no problem!! Semi autos in Australia are completely banned thanks to a massive tragedy that happened in the 90's but I'm happy with what I've got , would really like a 10 shot mag for it but gettin one in aust is not easy hopefully my local gun shop can locate one for me !!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dzu2cb

Actually, that Remington pump will be just as accurate as a bolt action. The underlying guts of it is really a bolt action where the bolt is operated by the forearm. Remington's pumps were built much differently than other brands.

Hope you like yours as good as I do mine,Ive took deer,bear & hogs with mine,coyotes too.Ive heard the 7600 aint accurate for years. But so far ITs been no trouble filling the freezer with it.GOOD luck & congrats.:cool:

You have not mentioned if you plan to reload for it, as long as you shoot factory ammunition your function will be 100%, however, if you start reloading you may have issues.

These pump rifles don’t have the strong cocking and seating cams that are on bolt rifles. Sloppy reloads will cause issues with failure to go in battery or failure to extract.

You will need to full length resize your brass and you need to set up your dies with cartridge case headspace gages.

Pictured are Wilson type, there are a number of other vendors. Someone posted that Dillion gages are stainless, rustfree is a better way to go in my opinion.

ReducedWilsongagemeasuringnew308bra.jpg

CartridgeHeadspacegagelinedrawing.jpg

If you notice, this is the difference between Go and No Go, about 0.006", you will never get there by setting up your dies by the “touch the shell holder and add a quarter turn” advice given by many reloaders or in the instructions that come with dies.

Wilsongagebetweengoandnogage308bras.jpg

Wisner’s has interesting observations on the Remington Pump Rifles and the gas guns.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington_760.htm

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington_7407427400.htm

I would follow the advice given in the 7400 section about keeping your chamber clean and using small base dies for reloads. If you use small base dies you have to use a good sizing lubricant, such as Imperial Sizing wax or RCBS water soluble. Spray on lubes will stick the case in the die.

These pump rifles don’t have the strong cocking and seating cams that are on bolt rifles.

I know that was true on the Savage pumps. However, I've never seen any indication that the 7600 was anything but completely strong enough for anything a bolt-action could handle.

I don't think he's saying the rifle isn't as strong when locked up, but that it doesn't have quite as much camming strength to force the bolt either closed or open on a cartridge that is slightly too large... hence then suggestion to use small base dies and check case dimensions more carefully.

I don't think he's saying the rifle isn't as strong when locked up, but that it doesn't have quite as much camming strength to force the bolt either closed or open on a cartridge that is slightly too large... hence then suggestion to use small base dies and check case dimensions more carefully.

Thanks, that is what I meant.

These pump rifles are very strong and have good shooter protection features against gas release in the event of case head failure.

But your ammunition has to fit..:)

Ok lads all great info here i appreciate the input !! I'm planning on reloading when I can afford to buy the rcbs supreme press kit bout 500 dollars in aust also dies which are about 100 dollars each one for sizing and deprimig and the other for seating right ??? If I follow specs to a tea and make sure I trim to spec and check everytime surely I won't have any issues right ?? I've got bout 300 rounds once I've spent those I'll be picking up the kit rcbs looks like the business !!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hcz0ay

Back