New guy...buying first shotgun for trap...

SpazzTrap

Hello all,

I am new to shotgunning and have several questions about getting into a mid level gun that will be used mostly for trap, and some bird hunting.

I have used O/Us, pumps, and auto loaders, and was wondering what was considered to be the most versatile. I don't want to short myself while practicing trap, but since this will be my one and only shotgun for a while, I want something that will lend itself to some functionality if I try skeet, SCs, or pheasant hunting.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated...I'm looking to spend 550 - 900 dollars, as it seems I can get into a respectable gun for that (Rem 1100, Winchester X2, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help...

SpazzTrap

Spazz, ask 20 trapshooters that question and you'll get at least 20 opinions. Here's mine.
Unless you're very familiar with shotguns, and reasonably kick tolerant, a easy kicking semi auto like the 1100 makes sense. And lots of 1100s are winning trap matches all over.

Trap guns get shot a lot, durability is a prerequisite,and so is fitting the shooter. One doesn't become proficient with a gun that hurts him/her, or proves impossible to hit with.

And, buying a used shotgun keeps the costs down a bit, and if it turns out it's not the shotgun for you, small loss. Trade it or sell it, and get something else.

If I were entering trap competition right now, with lots of experience behind me, I'd probably spring for one of the Brownings, or a Berreta O/U. I'd get one with a longer bbl for a smooth swing, a stock that fits me nicely, and set up to pattern most of the shot above POA.

What I wouldn't use for serious competition is exactly what I DO use for informal stuff, a short bbled 870 that's my everything flying gun. Serious competition requires specialized tackle. Pumps don't do all that well in trap.

You could shoot single trap with a pump gun and do quite well until you wanted to try double trap or skeet or sporting where two shots are required. (Yes, I know there are lots of successful pump gunners but I don't think someone learning the sport should be distracted by having to pump the gun for doubles.) I think you are best to go with a semi-automatic and choke tubes if you want the most versatility out of a single gun.

In your price range, my first choice would be the Beretta A391. I own a 390 which is a great gun but the 391 is even better. The Beretta guns have stock shims that can be used to adjust the fit.

Second choice would be an Remington 1100. I used to one an 11-87 Sporting Clays and it gave good service. You might think about getting an adjustable comb to ensure correct fit.

That's what I'd choose but it may not be the best for you. Try various guns if you can and choose the one that fits you best.

I recently purchased a new 12 ga Beretta 686 Silver Essential o/u with 28 inch barrels for $650 from Trader Sports in California and had if shipped to Virginia.

I've shot wobble trap, skeet, regular and international trap, 5-stand, and sporting clays with it. I'm very happy with it.

A few weeks ago I was surfing on the Internet and saw a listing for the identical shotgun for $735. I could probably find the site if you're interested.

Regards.

I personally would take a long look at the new Remington M1100's that have returned to the Remington line after several years absence. The 1100 is about as versatile a gun as you can find, with many barrel and choke options and everybody stocks spare parts for them. The 1100 is very popular and used ones are hard to find.

You should realize that if you get bitten by the clay shooting bug you will not stay with the same gun for long. Clays shooters are notorious for changing guns as often as some people change their socks. Every new gun, or new version of older guns, is just what you need to improve your scores. Try and find me a Trap, Skeet or Sporting shooter who owns just one gun. Kind of like trying to find an honest man :)

Geoff Ross

Thanks for all of the great posts, they have been very helpful. I went to my local gun shop today and checked out a few guns.

It looks like it's down two a few contenders.

Right now it looks like it's down to the Rem 1100 or a Beretta Urika AL391. IMO the Beretta feels a little more solid, I prefer the low gloss finish, and all of the spacers and shims supplied pretty much guarantee that I'll be able to get a good fit.

Any opinions about these two guns side by side? I don't think I can go wrong with either, but the Beretta seems like a good deal coming in at around 800 bucks here in CA...is that a decent price for the standard AL391?

Thanks again!

SpazzTrap

Back