New Guy asks which Caliber?

longhollow

Inactive
Hi Folks,

First Post. New to this forum and new to competitive shooting. Have a Ruger MarkII Target and a Ruger 10/22 rifle which I've shot for fun. Also have shot Sporting Clays in the past with a friends guns. Eye doctor has told me to stop shooting clays due to an eye issue.

Figured competitive tactical shooting would be fun. I've been reading about the two major groups that sponsor competitions. Would like to be able to shoot with either outfit.

Before I ring the register I figured I'd tap into this groups collective wisdom.

First question. Which SemiAuto caliber? As you might guess from my past .22 experience I enjoy hitting the mark more than making a big bang.

From what I have read I would like to shoot a production gun with no fancy mods or scopes.

9mm seemed like the way for me to go at first. But a guy this weekend suggested a 45acp saying it had a slower ignition resulting in a softer recoil....???? But I also suspect he is a hardcore 1911 kinda guy.

Going out to my local range this week to check out the different calibers to see how they feel.

Suggestions and comments on CALIBER CHOICE only right now would be great!

Thanks,
Bruce
SoCal

Welcome to the forum, Bruce! As far as competition Im assuming you meant IDPA and IPSC. IDPA is more geared towards concealed carry and is more practical for what you would see in real life. The guns and the stages of fire all reflect real life defensive weapons and senarios. IPSC is more an equiptment race and a lot (not all) of the guns you see in IPSC are heavily modified. IPSC is a great sport but its courses of fire are not real practical for defensive shooting (although you will gain a lot gun handling skill that will aid in defensive situations).

As far as a good caliber I would suggest the 9mm. Its a lot cheaper than the .45 and .40 and is good for competition / concealed carry. Out of the same gun, a .45 will always generate more recoil than a 9mm. Its a slower moving / lower pressure round compared with the 9, but its a big heavy bullet with a good amount of powder behind it. The .45 is a very accurate round and for that reason its often the choice for competitors in many types of shooting sports.

Bruce,

Welcome to the shooting sports!
I'll agree that the 9mm is a great caliber for the competitive action games (IDPA and IPSC/USPSA). It's also cheaper to shoot than the other calibers (whether you're into reloading or buying factory ammo).

I'll offer one other consideration regarding the IPSC/USPSA game...try the Production division within IPSC/USPSA. Stock guns, 10 round mags, standard holsters, standard magazine carriers. Very similar to the SSP division (stock service pistol) in the IDPA game.

As you participate and practice for both of these games, you will find that your shooting and your gun handling skills will improve dramatically.
Both games can be loads of fun, AND quite addictive too.

Sounds like you are still deciding on a pistol as well. Lot's of good choices in double-action semi-autos...the Glock 17 or 34, S&W Military & Police 9mm, and Springfield XD are probably the most commonly used in the Production division at the IPSC/USPSA matches I attend. All excellent pistols...you really can't go wrong picking one. Try several to see which one suits you best.

Most important - besides being safe - is to get started now!

Unless you are or plan to soon take up handloading, get a 9mm. The guy was full of it, the character of recoil is hard to distinguish and the .45 definitely has more recoil total.

Get a gun suited for IPSC/USPSA Production Division - there is a list of approved makes and models at www.uspsa.org - Glocks are common, XDs are coming on and S&W is trying hard with the Plastic M&P. The same gun will suit IDPA Stock Service Pistol. Me? I shoot a Sig-Sauer P226 but am in a very small minority.

Blade Tech makes a Kydex synthetic holster with an attachable drop loop. Wear the drop loop for IPSC where it will approach the low slung speed rig, wear it high ride for IDPA where it must be concealed. You will need two magazine carriers and at least three magazines for IDPA; at least twice that for IPSC, the stages are longer.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like 9mm is the way for me to go. Don't plan on reloading, and the less expensive round will equal more practice.

Recoil is very subjective. It has just as much to do with the gun as it does the ammo. A full size all steel 1911 shooting 45acp is going to be a real soft shooter. A sub compact polymer 9mm is going to have more felt recoil. The big factor is the mass and ergonomics of the gun.

Most people only concern themselves with how much felt recoil they feel, and not how the gun actually recoils. The 45 acp has a very slow pushy recoil impulse. A 9mm is more snappy. To many they feel the 45 has less recoil. For us action pistol guys felt recoil is minor we are concerned with how fast the sights reset/slide cycles. We want the gun to get back on target as fast as possible. Thus I will gladly take recoil and a snappy gun if my shot to shot splits are faster. With the 1911 45's I feel like I'm waiting on the slide to cycle. That's just too slow for me.

When you get to a certain point you can even see how the sights behave in recoil. I need my sights to lift cleanly up and down and reset to the same spot. Some of the funky recoil systems like the double recoil spring system on the HK USP do funny things for me. I see the sight lift and do a little figure 8 at the point where it transistions from one spring to the other than back. I can't be having this.

I always recomend the 9mm because it is inexpensive. The most important thing is practice and you can afford to do more with the 9mm. If you knew what you wanted to do is shoot USPSA Limited division then get a .40

A 230grain bullet at 720fps (165pf) has more perceived and actual recoil than a 147grain going 860fps(125pf), regardless of caliber (45/9). With the exception of the Springfield XD USPSA production pistols and gear will work in IDPA’s SSP division (the XD will be in ESP). For IDPA you will have to limit yourself to only two additional magazines on the belt and also need to add some sort of concealment garment. Shooting 9mm, if overall placement is any concern to you, stick with IDPA. Many shoot .40 caliber in both idpa (downloaded to125pf for esp/ssp) and uspsa (loaded to 165pf for limited); double stack 1911’s and glocks are common in both games.

According to the survey of participants at the 2006 national championship…
9mm 146
45acp 93
40s&w 34
357 16
38 super 5
38 spl 1
44 spl 1
45 gap 1

Edit: 82 of the 146 9mm were glock 17/34.

blah blah blah

I split the diff; I bought a (used) 1911 chambered for 9x19.
I bought it for its reduced recoil compared to my 45 ACP-chambered 1911s.
Ammo costs less (even though I make my own, component costs are reduced).

I have two 45 ACP 1911s, and one non-1911 45, but I like my 9x19 1911.

I am competitive enough...... :rolleyes:

A33102

Another vote for the 9mm. If the same handgun is going to be used for IPSC Production and IDPA, capacity will be an issue in IPSC. Your performance will improve with practice and unless you're reloading 9mm will be way cheaper.
Recoil...not really an issue.

new guy asks which pistol

hi
im thinking of purchasing a trojan to competition shooting
there is some suggestions?
im not very sure if is the best election i can do for my money( +- 1000)
thanks in advance
xenita:)

as good as the used Springfield I bought then customized?

One of the finest factory-produced 9x19 1911s; good choice (maybe a great choice).

I shoot the Trojan 9MM in ESP in IDPA. The 1911 in 9MM rules ESP IMHO. Very fast trigger and as has been ponted out little or no recoil. I just shoot it better and faster than my other pistols that would qualify for this division. (Well my Tanfoglio "L" model is very close). Loading 9+1 rounds in IDPA can be a slight advantage over 10+1 if I use the Tanfoglio.

IPSC Preoduction is limited to 10 round mags (10+1 Loading) so I find the Tanfoglio a better gun for that division.

I have shot the new M&P in 9MM and it is one sweet gun and fits my hand much better than the Glock 17/34.

Take Care

Bob

Back