New gun purchase, Ruger or Beretta?

WBaird

Inactive
I am looking for something relatively inexpensive. I know the Rugers cant be beat for affordability but I have always eyed the Berettas, as I really like the aesthetics of the guns. I have fired a Ruger, but I have never shot a Beretta, any comments regarding them, problems, compliments? What models are good in 9mm? I am looking for something for home defense and pleasure/recreational shooting.

I know some people consider Bill Ruger to be one-step up from the anti-christ, but I would like to steer clear of those arguments and get true, unbiased information about the guns in question.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

I have owned both. For the price, a Ruger 9MM or 40 cal you cant beat. But i like a beretta. Get the 92FS. It is durable, reliable, hi-caps mags are out there in good supply and not as expensive as other brand mags. i think you will be happy with it. I have a beretta 92fs, carried it when i worked in law enforcement, good solid weapon. I would take a beretta any day over a glock..IMHO..

I've tried them all...

I've owned semi-autos by Ruger, Glock, S&W, Sig, Kahr, KelTec, Star, Colt and I've probably forgotten a couple but the only ones I've truly fell in love with are the Beretta's (well I am awful fond of the Kahr P9 but that has more to do with size and weight). If I had found out with Beretta sooner, I could have saved a lot of money on pistols and had a safe full of Beretta's. My current favorite is the 92G Elite but any of the 92 series Beretta's are wonderful handguns. An added benefit is that the Beretta factory original (15 round) capacity magazines are available at a reasonable price. Nothing wrong with a Ruger IMO, and I plan on getting a P97 in the future, but they don't compare to a Beretta.

Ruger are excellent guns for the price. The thing it they just don't seem to float my boat. Great guns but uninteresting. The beretta is more expensive but it is a really nice firearm. Don't have one but I do have A ruger p-94 in .40. Once again good gun but just a little too plain for me.

Get what you WANT, otherwise, you'll regret the purchase. You should try shooting both guns if you can before buying. Most ranges let you rent. I don't like the slide-mounted safeties on the Berettas, but I can overlook that if I find a good deal on a Cougar or FS. The Slide mounted decockers on the Rugers is much less punishing on the fingers when racking the slide. JMO.

Ben

NEW GUN

Don't overlook the CZ75B Military, i'm sure one of
your buddies has one.a true Hi-cap with the gun..
a Clinton mag and cleaning kit..nice case.ect.

CZ Connection has them for a limited time@$299.00

Gun and two hi-caps@350.00

CZ75 SA ..Match Grade Accurate @366.00

A few of these guys here can attest to CZ
quality, reliabilty and accuracy.Shiro, has been
know to fondle a few Czs:)

I seen a 25th Anniv on AA..better hurry.

If not a CZ.. go for the 92FS..a quality 9mm
made in USA.

Used Glocks are out there..i'm told that there
are no longer any Police trade-ins from Glock
on the market?

SAFE SHOOTING.

Ruger P95

I've got a P95 , Sig 229 and have just ordered a HS2000. These are all compact 9 mm pistolsthat weigh under 30 oz. The P95 is the first autoloader i purchased and I have to say that it is the easiest to shot. It points well, feels well balanced have not had one reliability problem and in IDPA shooting I do better with it than the Sig. The DA trigger is long but light; the SA is almost too light. The bigproblem I have with it is the slack in the trigger--it realy does take a while to get used to it.

Both are good guns. Both are easy to shoot.

If you ever plan (or need) to carry concealed, forget the Beretta; its big. Capital B-BIG.

Note: the Ruger looks big, but if you check the measurements you'll find that its very close to the same size as the Glocks and H&Ks (and some of the SIGS).

My brother has a Ruger 9mm, I don't know the exact model name, maybe a P95, it is regular fullsize. Anyway, when I shot it, it goes "kluunk" as it reloads. Just a real heavy klunky feel to the action.

My Beretta, on the other hand, is very smooth like butter.

Hard to describe. Don't know if the difference I feel between them due to a fluke or the basic differences between Ruger and Beretta.

Nothing was wrong with is gun, nothing broken, just a blocky, klunky, 9mm. My Beretta is more accurate, too.

I would go with the Ruger P95. I have a P95 and a P94 in .40 S&W and they are both excellent in all respects - reliability, accuracy, durability and price. Don't worry about looks, get what works. Besides, the looks of the Rugers grow on you!

I like the looks of my Ruger P94 (9mm). The newer line of Ruger pistols are real sleepers. The P89 is large, comparable to the Beretta, but the newer pistols; P93, P94, P95 and P97 are smaller and more ergonomic. Plus as stated in another thread, they look big but are pretty much neck and neck in size with pistols like the Glock and Sig. My Ruger was $318 out the door, last I checked the Berettas were running in the high $400's to the mid $500's. Buy the Ruger , you'll get a pistol that is just as good but will be able to buy a case of ammo to go along with it.

I started with a P89 last year and recieved a 92FS for my birthday this year. My P89 has given me many thousands of rounds of reliable and fun shooting, every time I pull the trigger it goes bang. The Beretta only has about a thousand rounds through it so far, but has a better "feel" to it and accuracy is marginaly better. If price is the main object, go with the Ruger, if you can afford a little bit more go with the Beretta, if you can afford a lot more buy them both!

Terry

Buy the Ruger P95 or P97

Berettas offer superior INACCURACY compared to the new polymer Rugers IMO. Although I like the looks and superb reliability of Berettas, the P92 and P96 accuracy is PATHETIC considering the price Beretta wants (IMO). I am also not convinced Berettas will hold up to a lot of shooting. I would go with a newer polymer Ruger (P95 or P97). That way you get very good accuracy, exceptional reliability, and top notch durability at a modest price. Why pay more for less (as in the Beretta)?

Oh, let me add that the CZ 75 and CZ 97 are better choices than both the Beretta and Ruger IMO. The CZ's are simply the best gun out there for the money. The 75 and 97 shoot more accurate for me than Sig Sauers, Glocks, Rugers, and HK USP's. CZ makes very quality pieces. Give them a look! :)

I don't have any first hand experience with Ruger semiautos but do have a Beretta Elite II. I like it a lot. Accuracy is good and its size seems to reduce felt recoil a bit versus my other 9mm, a Browning Hi Power. That said, its size is also a disadvantage because my hands are smallish and getting a good hold around its fat grip takes some getting used to. I've read Berettas are extremely reliable, and I haven't had a single feed failure with mine, no matter what I shoot in it. Good luck!

Any reason why Glock isn't on your list? I think I'd try the G19 based on the others you are looking at. For me, it's the best package that Glock has put out as far as an easily concealed piece that is outstanding for capacity and shootability.

If you're down to the Ruger or the Beretta, I'd get a Ruger. I haven't seen $150-200 worth of difference in their quality, but I DO see it on the price tag.

Back