New Gun Purchase Recommendations

longshank

I am looking to buy a new weapon soon. My budget is "up to $2,500-2,750 range. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once", but don't like throwing money at something simply because it is more expensive either. For example, I am perfectly confident that my Glocks are every bit as reliable as a Nighthawk custom handgun (although not as pretty). The following is a list of what I currently have:

Bravo Company AR-15 5.56
Remington 700 in 280
S&W 15-22 MOE
Ruger 10/22
Glock 19
Glock 32
Benelli M2 12 gauge 28" model
Remington 870 Police
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Magnum

Possible Interests:

Springfield M1a
AR-10
Benelli M4
SCAR 17 in 308
SCAR 16 in 5.56

Any suggestions?

SCARs are supposed to be fantastic

Only fondled them at the gunshop so I have no personal experience with them. Pricey, but you ought to blow you entire budget on the one purchase.

well in my opinion, and that's all this is, but the scar offers little improvement, if any over the AR15 for most shooters. I would personally be all over the M1A or the AR10. it would be very hard for me to pick which one though.

M1a would be my choice, if money wasn't an issue the SCAR in either .308 or 5.56 would be a close second.

. Brian Pfleuger With a budget like that, I'd be building my own rifle and have $1,200 to spare for the scope.

I completely agree. But off your given list I would go with the m1a, with the scar 17 a close second.

My choices would be different...something like a Cooper bolt-action with great looking wood, a fantastic scope and in a chambering that would allow me to wow everyone on the range and scare all the critters on the plains.

To each his/her own.

longshank,

Consider a gun for target shooting!

Search the NRA site for competitive events near you and go there and see what they are using.

We shoot all year around here in New England. We shoot rifles and pistols indoors in the cold weather at 50' and outdoors all year. Others shoot shotguns at competitive events.

http://compete.nra.org

Match at our range:

tn_480_P1010009.JPG.jpg

For that budget? Heh... I'm a different type of shopper I guess. I would opt for a lever-action .357 mag or 44 mag 1892 or 1894 type rifle. one of those nice Winchesters or the reproductions out of Italy, to get my cowboy on... probably set me back about $1,000 or so....

That would take up about 40% of your budget...

Then I would go out and buy a Ruger Mini-14 to get that M-14 type action battle rifle for some real fun. That would only take a bit more of your budget. Probably $700 or so....

You would probably have around $1,000 left over to spend on ammo or just put back in the bank.

Isn't it always fun to spend other people money ;)

Back