New gun owner!

g6t6o

Hi there everybody! I have been looking for a good firearm site and it looks like I found it! I just purchased a S&W .41 with a 6" barrel and had a few questions:D First, how hard is it to get ammo for this gun? I mean can I go down to my local walmart and purchase rounds? Second, how can I find out what model# the gun is for future reference? And third, what is this gun worth? It is in very good shape, and has not been fired much. A friend was in need of some cash so he sold it to me for $175. It also has a black rubber grip:) Thanks and I look forward to coming here often!

Josh

You should be able to find the model # on the barrel or inside the cylinder crane...I'm assuming this is a double action revolver. Open the cylinder and just above where the crane attaches to the body you should see the model number stamped in the metal on the frame. If it's fairly new, it's probably a model 657.

Ammo shouldn't be difficult to find, although it will probably be more expensive. It is definitely less popular (and less available) than .357 or .44 ammo.

IMPORTANT: If you're fairly new to shooting, you should have someone responsible (preferably a gunsmith) check over your pistol before you fire it.

If it's as you described, I'll make you a quick $25 bucks and pay you $200 for it!! ;) ;)

Welcome Josh!! You paid $175 for a S&W .41 mag from a 'friend'. Josh, since you are new I am going to be a 'friend' to you and give you your money back. You can just send the pistol to me. I hate to see people being taken advantage off. ;) It is quite possible that your local WalMart will have .41 mag ammo, if not any gun shop should have some. If the gun is blue or nickel plated (looks like chrome) it is a mod 57 and has adj sights, the fixed sighted S&W mod 58 .41 mag only came with a 4" barrel. If the gun is stainless steel then it is a mod 657. The model number can be found by opening the cylinder and looking on the frame below the forcing cone (where the barrel screws into the frame). It is under the crane (flat piece of steel that pivots away from the frame that the cylinder is attached to). Hard to specify a value without knowing the model and the condition of the finish. It would be like me telling you the value of a Chevy convertible with a 350 small block. You need a lot more info than that.

Lol, thanks for the reply's guys:D This "friend" actually got into a little trouble with the law and had 30 days to sell all of his firearms. Of course he waited till the last few days. He also has a S&W .44-nickel with a 4" barrel, I think he was asking $250 for that one. My .41 is stainless, so I'm assuming it's the 657 model? I will be taking it to my local smithy to have it checked out soon, if not today:) Jeez, you guys sure want this gun bad, did I get a good deal or something?;)

Josh

Welcome to TFL Josh. I think you'll like it here.

But don't listen to those two, they're always kidding around.

Hows about $225 and I pay all shipping costs?

Josh, you got yourself a real deal there. I have had a S&W 57, 6", for years, and love it. I reload, so getting ammo is no problem for me, plus I cook up loads to suit what I hunt, or just practice.

You'll not have any trouble finding factory ammo at any decent gun store. I very often, carry mine out in the "bear" woods, and have killed a 400 lb. black bear, with my .41.

Good luck. J.B.

boy these guys are really trying to steal you blind :p your .41 should be worth at least as much as the .44; i'll pay you $250 if you'll pay shipping ;)...i guess if you wait long enough, the bids will stop and you'll know what the gun is worth.

i used to have a blued m57 with 6" bbl that i really liked but i couldn't afford the ammo at the time, i bought mine at k-mart. i still have a m58, looks like a m13 with a gland problem, that had the trigger tuned...i use it to win bets on fixed vs adjustable sights.

Back