New Gun Owner - Where to Start?

JamesK12

Inactive
Hello everybody! I turned 18 earlier this year and finished my application process recently, and wanted to purchase a shotgun. I intend on using this shotgun for clay shooting at a range I went to as a guest about a year ago, and possibly for hunting purposes, so ideally a versatile gun. From the research I’ve done, the Remington 870 seems like an obvious choice, but with so many variations of the model I’m not sure which one to buy, and even though the Wingmaster variation is very nice, I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $400 over the economical Express models. Does anybody have any suggestions? Whether I should stick to the Remington 870 or if there are other guns I should research. I would be fine spending anywhere between $400-$1000. Thanks, all feedback greatly appreciated

Lots of people run down the Express version, but I've never had a negative experience with one. For hunting purposes I'd rather have the dull finish over the flashy bright metal and wood on the Wingmaster. If considering the price they are asking for a Wingmaster I'd be looking for a semi-auto instead.

The Mossberg 500 is another viable option, but for a lot of reasons I much prefer the 870 design.

If I were limited to only 1 shotgun, or only 1 gun period, it would be a synthetic stocked 870 with a 26" barrel that took interchangeable choke tubes. Longer barrels are a bit better for the clay games, shorter barrels better for turkey hunting or personal defense, but 26" is a good compromise. I've never found it a handicap for hunting. They aren't as common though. Most stores carry 28" barrels.

I chose the Mossberg 500 because it was cheaper and the ease of changing barrels. It has been dead reliable.

Hello everybody! I turned 18 earlier this year and finished my application process recently, and wanted to purchase a shotgun. I intend on using this shotgun for clay shooting at a range I went to as a guest about a year ago, and possibly for hunting purposes, so ideally a versatile gun. From the research I’ve done, the Remington 870 seems like an obvious choice, but with so many variations of the model I’m not sure which one to buy, and even though the Wingmaster variation is very nice, I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $400 over the economical Express models. Does anybody have any suggestions? Whether I should stick to the Remington 870 or if there are other guns I should research. I would be fine spending anywhere between $400-$1000. Thanks, all feedback greatly appreciated
Twenty years ago I would've recommended the Remington 870, today I would not. Remington used to make really good guns, they don't anymore and have even had safety recalls when some of their guns would fire without the trigger being pulled. With your $400-$1000 price range I would recommend a Benelli. Benelli makes high end shotguns and while some of their really high end models would be way above your price range you can get a good Benelli for under $1000. You can even find Benellis for under $500 if you want a pump gun.

And congratulations on getting your first gun, especially getting it at 18. I was 23 when I got my first gun so you've beaten me out.

For starting out, JMR40's advice on a 26" 870 with interchangeable chokes is a good way to start. You can always buy up once you are really hooked.

If that's too expensive, the Harrington & Richardsons are Chinese clones of the 870. Imported and distributed by Remington's own parent. For some bizarre reason, I think they take Mossberg chokes.

There are literally tons of good 2nd-hand shotguns out there if you want to save money. Many times, the older ones that built a good reputation for the model are better than the new versions. Check out an old Winchester model 12 sometime.

I'm partial to the 870, but I know of nothing wrong with the Mossberg 500, either. For a first shotgun, I'd go ahead and stick with the 870 Express and spend some of the savings on ammo & (perhaps) an extra barrel in a different length.

Express's are good starters

Lots of people run down the Express version, but I've never had a negative experience with one.
Well, I have had problems with the Express's and I still would recommend them. The WingMasters and Winchester 12's, have always been my favorites….. :)

The Mossberg 500 is another viable option, but for a lot of reasons I much prefer the 870 design.
Yes, as well as many more that will listed, in this thread. One factor is the thickness of your wallet …. :)

Be Safe !!!

I agree, 870 is a good choice for general use. That said, it will be poor to average for most tasks and good for a few. Just know that going in.

An 1100 would be much better for clays due to cyclic rate. Clays on a range with good throwers are hard enough to hit, even with an over/under.

I'm partial to the 870, but I know of nothing wrong with the Mossberg 500, either. For a first shotgun, I'd go ahead and stick with the 870 Express and spend some of the savings on ammo & (perhaps) an extra barrel in a different length.

Would you go with an 870 today? Remington isn't what it used to be, they've gone the way Ford has with their automobiles.

"...clay shooting..." "possibly hunting..." I'd get a preowned Browning Citori. Stay away from the older fixed choke version. Budget to $1,000 works for a preowned Citori.

David :)

bn12gg hit something. If the primary purpose of this shotgun is to shoot clay targets and you are doing so at a regular trap/skeet range then you'll be one of the few shooters on the range not using a break-open shotgun. Aside from the fact that you never need more than 2 shots in that kind of shooting, there is the safety factor. Having a break-open shotgun that stays open when you are not "on the line" makes other shooters feel a lot safer. Whenever I'm on the line and there is a guy behind me with a pump or autoloader, I always feel uneasy not knowing whether or not he has cleared his chamber.

Would you go with an 870 today? Remington isn't what it used to be, they've gone the way Ford has with their automobiles.
Good question. I haven't bought a new 870 in decades, to be honest. My oldest one is probably 60+ years old, and my newest is probably going on 40.

Back