New Gun Laws, they won't need them very soon !!!

41 Magnum

Hasn't anyone but me noticed that we need no new gun laws ??! I've been watching closely at the way prices have at least doubled and in some instances tripled on anything gun related !!! The very people who should be trying to help us, seem to be cutting our throats !! I went to look at a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8, and it is $1299.00!??! I'm retired and on a very fixed income !!!!
I don't care what anyone else thinks, there is really no excuse for it !
other things are a little concerning also. New ammo is now coming out with plastic cases !! Doesn't that bother anyone that they are slipping these things by everyone ?? That would soon mean that reloading may be a thing of the past, and no one seems to be disturbed at any of this !! I am 78 years old, and have enjoyed this hobby most all my life, and it scares the crap out of me. Some common ammo is now $100 a round or more ! .22 LR is now almost as expensive as some center fire used to be ! I was in a local shop the other day, and .357 Mags are $79.00 a box !!! I've actually bought a few guns for less than that in my lifetime ! *&#@>M<

We are being distracted and misled & blinded into thinking about all these other problems and we're going to loose it all without even realizing it at some point. And it will be largely due to inattentiveness on our part !

OK, I'm done !! I'm not going to be around much longer at my age, and someone can look back and regret that no one did a thing, especially those who are currently lining their pockets at our expense !!!

We are in a period of hyper inflation. Guns and ammo are certainly going to be affected, as most are manufactured in the U.S. Hyper inflation won't last forever, but that doesn't mean the prices will drop. It just means they will level out at some point.

People on fixed incomes get screwed the worst by this because they are fairly helpless to do anything about it. Those at the beginning of their careers will eventually see their wages, income and investments catch up and keep pace with inflation. They will be purchasing firearms and ammo at what many consider "inflated" prices, but will continue to enjoy their guns and shooting, so long as the 2nd Amendment remains intact.

Overall, gun and ammo prices have been coming down. SW has even had a rebate on one line of handguns they produce. I will agree that .357 mag ammo has been awfully high, but, if you're willing to buy in bulk, you can buy it without mortgaging the house. I always check ammmoseek.com. Today, they show LAX has new .357 at 66 cents a round (500 rounds) plus shipping. Not cheap, but much better than it was a month or two ago.

I agree with .41 Magnum, but then, I'm 1-1/2 years older and can understand where he's coming from. I did a primer inventory the other night, and I'm low on Small Pistol Primers, but supported by the higher 3000 Small Rifles that I discovered I can use to replace SPP. Interestingly, I have 2000 Small Pistol Magnum CCI primers with prices on them. No dates....just prices. $14.95/1000.

I, too, feel the impact of fixed income and higher inflation, and my recent issue of Gins & Ammo went right into the trash because everything they tout was over $1000 - rifles, shotguns, scopes. Those few in the range under $500 were foreign handguns -one from Turkey, where I understand the USA is not in the friendship column.

I hope the future reverses the trend that seems to discourage gun use and ownership just from the prospect of cost.

Bad timing for someone on a fixed income. But what we are seeing is normal. Prices of all consumer goods tend to rise along with income. They don't always stay together though. Sometimes prices for consumer goods rise faster than income, other times incomes rise faster than the cost of goods.

For at least the last 20 years gun and ammo prices have been UNDER valued and were selling at bargain prices compared to income. For now at least that trend is reversed. Given time things will even out.

Most people are making more money than ever, and when there is more money in peoples bank accounts prices go up. Not meaning to be political, but starting in 2020 the government gave away at least $6 Trillion in Covid relief funds and unemployment benefits to people. The current administration has continued the trend on a smaller scale.

That is almost $9 Trillion placed in peoples bank accounts in 2 years. All the experts predicted this over 2 years ago. Unemployment levels are at historic lows. Employers can't find enough people to run their businesses and are paying higher wages to attract people. All of that combined leads to higher prices.

It would be great if the amount of money in people’s bank accounts was going up, but I suspect in the past few years the reason savings are going up is folks are acting like my parents, when I was growing up. Going out to dinner was a rare treat, so was going to the movies. My dad took his lunch to work and only the doctors and lawyers could afford two (two! Can you believe it!) cars per family. Just forget about 3 cars, that was unheard of.

I suspect that the majority of Americans have been using money to pay the rent, bills, and groceries during the Covid.

After a few years, I think lots of families learned that for lots of jobs, you work all day to pay for lunch and work clothes, day care, and the car to get you to work. The rat race isn’t profitable, and families are living cheaper and living life more. Just my opinion.

As for “inflation”… prices are way up, but so are Wall Street profits. Companies are making plenty of money selling less stuff. That should make you think.

When this all settles out, if you don’t reload, your buddies on this board can help you get started. A few thousand primers and a couple pounds of Unique (or 2400 or bullseye or… many other general purpose powders) can keep you shooting economically for years.

Hasn't anyone but me noticed that we need no new gun laws ??! I've been watching closely at the way prices have at least doubled and in some instances tripled on anything gun related !!! The very people who should be trying to help us, seem to be cutting our throats !! I went to look at a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8, and it is $1299.00!??! I'm retired and on a very fixed income !!!!
I don't care what anyone else thinks, there is really no excuse for it !
other things are a little concerning also. New ammo is now coming out with plastic cases !! Doesn't that bother anyone that they are slipping these things by everyone ?? That would soon mean that reloading may be a thing of the past, and no one seems to be disturbed at any of this !! I am 78 years old, and have enjoyed this hobby most all my life, and it scares the crap out of me. Some common ammo is now $100 a round or more ! .22 LR is now almost as expensive as some center fire used to be ! I was in a local shop the other day, and .357 Mags are $79.00 a box !!! I've actually bought a few guns for less than that in my lifetime ! *&#@>M<

We are being distracted and misled & blinded into thinking about all these other problems and we're going to loose it all without even realizing it at some point. And it will be largely due to inattentiveness on our part !

OK, I'm done !! I'm not going to be around much longer at my age, and someone can look back and regret that no one did a thing, especially those who are currently lining their pockets at our expense !!!
I had no idea since I have been hiding in my basement since COVID hit. :D There is only one man to thank for the mess that we are in. :mad:

Yes, its a shame that McD's basic burger isn't $0.25 and premium gasoline isn't $0.60 per gallon, anymore.

On the other hand, even on my small pension, I make more than the $300 a month I made back in those days. Several times more...:rolleyes:

It's high-inflation. Some will call it hyper-inflation but that's 50% per month - i.e. Weimer Germany. The insane gun prices prices are a combination of runaway monetary policy, supply chain, & geopolitical. You think it's bad now, wait until we start having reduced food selections in this country. I suspect gun & ammo prices have reached bottom & will start creeping back up in the coming weeks.

Just a reminder that The Firing Line is a site/forum dedicated to discussions of firearms and shooting. Clearly the price and availability of ammunition affect shooting, but this is not the place to stray into discussions of political and socio-economic factors that affect inflation as a whole. Please try to keep your posts related to guns and shooting.

Fun facts regarding ammo prices.

Commodity price of lead & brass has been relatively flat over the past 5 years.

Gunpowder is made from sulfur, charcoal, & potassium.

Sulfur is up 269% since 2020 & charcoal is no biggie.

Here's the most concerning part. Potassium which is the largest component of gun powder comes from 4 countries - 80% from the 4 - Canada, Belarus, China, and.....Russia! China is currently locked down - again. Russia...well, I doubt we are getting Potassium from them.

Not even gonna talk about transportation costs...

So, if you think ammo prices have been high, you ain't seen nothing yet. :eek:

I have to say the current gun prices have made me stop thinking so much about guns on my bucket list. I've always wanted a magnum caliber rifle but it's getting further down on my list month by month.

That said, I still can't stop thinking about getting a PTG action and assembling a .338 Win mag rifle even though I'd likely never get a chance to hunt with it...

Tony

Gunpowder is made from Sulphur. Carbon, and Potassium Nitrate.

The carbon doesn't have to come from charcoal but its a convenient source in low tech societies. Straight potassium won't do it. It has to be potassium nitrate.

For centuries it was "gunpowder" and there was only one...
After the invention of smokeless powder it became commonly known as black powder to be clearly different from smokeless, the "other gunpowder".

The value of things changes over time and with the situation that currently exists. 40 years ago you could get a good Rem 870 for $200. OR you could get a new state of the art dot matrix printer for the same money.

Which one of those is worth $200 on the market today? The printer might be, if its new in the box and you find an "antique electronics" collector. The shotgun, with 40yrs of use on it, it worth considerably more than $200 today.

Because it has utility, it keeps value. Still.

Back