New Gun, is it the model or chambering?

Guv

So several years ago I had to have an INOX 92. Went to the store and low and behold their INOX 96's were $40.00 less than the 92's, both USA made. I bought the 40. Point is, I wanted a full size Beretta and among service type calibers didn't really care. I have both now but whats new!:o So has anyone on here for example had to have a Sig 229, Glock, K frame, SP101, etc. and within reason, the caliber was not the 1st priority in making their choice?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I even understand your question. First, I'm a veteran. The United States military has never adopted the .40 S&W as a general use cartridge. To me, the word "service" connotes adopted by the U.S. military. So your discussion lost me right at the outset.

Beyond that, it seems like the only variable in your actual question is brand. A Beretta 96 is not a Beretta 92, and a Glock xx is not a Glock yy. So it's not a case of wanting to buy a specific pistol but not caring what caliber it comes in. You are allowing multiple models within a brand, so you are really asking if someone has ever wanted a Glock -- ANY Glock -- and didn't care what caliber (meaning didn't care which model).

I can't even relate to that. My lens is that I'm a 1911 guy, first and foremost. 1911s are overwhelmingly .45 Auto. In general, if I were looking for a new 1911 I would very much expect it to be a .45 Auto, so caliber does matter. Conversely, if for some reason I wanted something different, such as .38 Super, I would still be looking for a 1911, probably a Commander, and again the caliber/chambering would matter because I would be specifically looking for a 1911 chambered for .38 Special.

If you had to have a PPk, or maybe a 232 Sig would you turn one down if it were lets say a 32 instead of a 380? There are plenty of guns out there offered in a variety of different calibers. By "service caliber" I meant standard defense type cartridges offered within the specific gun type. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'd choose a gun first, but would only buy if it were a calibre I actually wanted to shoot, buy or reload for. So whilst I may choose a model, the chambering is a potential deal breaker/maker. I can't really separate the two.

I get what you've said and think it's a fair question and to get wrapped-up over the Beretta 96 -NOT- being a Beretta 92 because it's in .40cal seems to be picking some nits, but we'll all have our opinions.

For me, when I get the idea that I'm chasing a particular handgun, the caliber is absolutely part of it for me in almost every case. And I'll go further -- if I'm going to actively be getting the idea that I want to chase down a particular gun, it's got to fit very, very close to what I'm specifically looking for. I will bend in some cases with regards to a feature or two or perhaps the finish, but this often depends on what is actually produced and available.

For example, my Tanfoglio (EAA :o) Witness Elite Match. I got the idea for these about reading up on them, chasing down discussions of folks who know them and shoot them (and compete with versions of them) and then I finally found one at a gun shop to actually handle. It was a used .45cal version. I love used guns and prefer them over new ones, but I wanted a 9mm and was able to get a new one from a Gunbroker dealer. (but these are not the easiest NEW gun on the planet to purchase) Handling the used .45 made me even more sure that I was ready to put the money toward a new one - I was very impressed with the fit, feel, and trigger.

This pistol has a tactical rail on the front that makes me absolutely want to vomit. I hate the look of it SO MUCH that I am nearly sure, one day, I'm going to saw it off or find someone with far more skill than myself and ask them to grind it off. It also has front serrations that I loathe on any/every handgun, but these aren't quite as noticeable as they are on a 1911 pistol. These two features are visual KILLERS in my opinion, but they weren't enough to keep me from buying the gun. If Tanfoglio made exactly the same pistol without these two features, I'd have waited longer to get one. I could have spent quite a bit more $$$ to go up a level or two, but that wasn't worth it.

I do love the pistol, it has been phenomenal, in my opinion, and it's over 4,000 rounds in so I've gotten quite familiar with it. But I like it better when I'm taking aim with it and shooting it than I do when I'm looking at it from the side.

If you had to have a PPk, or maybe a 232 Sig would you turn one down if it were lets say a 32 instead of a 380?

In this case yes I would. All of the different handguns I own are working weapons, and not safe queens or wall hangers.

Now if I was a collector and wanted a special make and model handgun, to fill out part of my collection, the caliber would not matter to me.

Hope that answers your question.....

Interesting way things can be looked at. None of which is right, or wrong. Each way just has different consequences.

I do not like how easy it is for me to have an ND with a semiautomatic. I decided on revolver 1st, then caliber .357 magnum, then frame (S&W 686). Since that beginning I only changed caliber adding .44 magnum.

When I was happy with my revolver choices in .357 magnum and .44 magnum I decided to see if I could improve my like for semiautos. First was a 9mm S&W 3913. Nice pistol, but I really do not like semiautos and the ND I seem to get.

I then went back to the caliber I had, .44 magnum and bought a Desert Eagle. Big heavy pistol, lousey trigger, but I have never had a ND and it is easier for me to carry than a carbine in the foothills. It works for me.

I think it I never really thought of my choice methodology. Interesting post. I started with frame priority, then went to caliber priority.

I just kind of randomly bump around in the dark buying whatever mashes my lust button at that moment, if it's within my grasp.

^^Sounds good to me Micro. And Hook, 44 is the only caliber I would want a Desert Eagle in. Nice piece of machinery in a useful chambering. No wrong answer to this one old bear.

Last edited:
I just kind of randomly bump around in the dark buying whatever mashes my lust button at that moment, if it's within my grasp.
Exactly!

One purchase a few years ago was a twofer. Wanted a Glock, interested in the 10MM. Glock 20, the perfect answer! :D

Between .40 and 9mm I can go either way. I won't buy a gun that's underbuilt for .40, but in models that are properly designed for .40, and thus 9mm, I will usually go with whatever I can get the better deal on. I bought my USP Compact in .40 because it was a much better deal and the USP is built to handle the .40 well. It shoots the round very softly.

For me the features are more important. Ideally, I don't want a DA/SA pistol with a slide-mounted decocker that is also a safety. Given a choice between the 9mm with the slide-mounted safety/decocker and the .40 with just a decocker, I'll choose the .40

I think the two are always part and parcel for me but I can see how it wouldn't matter to many others. I always have an end goal with my purchase so the caliber will be of utmost importance. Between 9mm and .40 I don't think it makes much of a difference but since they don't make many single action pistols in .40, I don't own any in that caliber.

My selection system is:

1. Decide what I want to do; examples - concealed carry or home defense or competition or plinking or hunting

2. Set the parameters. Each of the above may have different parameters; such as, plinker would be .22, concealed carry a small plastic fantastic and home defense steel double stack.

3. Then decide what tool(s) I need for the task.

I guess my process boils down to

1911 ==> Commander ==> Colt ==> .45 Auto ==> Blued ==> How much?

I once bought a used Colt Combat Commander in 9mm just because I thought I should own something in 9mm.

I own 1911s in 45acp and 38 Super. I've looking for one in 10mm that I see the same time I have cash. I guess that counts.

I might try a high power in 40 if one floated by me.

I have K frame revolvers in several calibers.

I think of a "service caliber" as one that has seen service in either the police or military of any given country as a standard service sidearm. This excludes the 22 l.r. which is widely used for training and some specialized applications but is not generally carried. I think it's hard and not useful to limit it to the U.S. military.

tipoc

Thanks Sevens, I was trying not to be confusing.
It made sense to me

I bought a Browning Hi Power simply because I love the gun.
I didn't really "want" a 9 mm, and when I bought mine they didn't make a 40 cal

I do research on a particular pistol that interests me, the XDs for example. I like the .45acp round so the fact that the XDs was available in .45acp sealed the deal for me.

So a planned out purchase is most often based on caliber. An impulse buy is based on the firearm.

Back