New Gun Choices:

jman30

Inactive
Hello,

I currently own one gun, the Glock 43. (good for CCW)

I was looking into a shotgun or budget ar 15 under $500, and a mid size to full size pistol in 9mm. These are some local gun store offerings i have found. Trying to decide which to go with and trying to keep it $1000 or under for both. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am considering even trading my G43 towards these and then getting a new small CCW again eventually

Small CCW:
G43

New long gun:

Mossberg 590a1 18 inch barrel. $440

New Pistol:

CZ75 PCR /Compact with decocker: $580

Sig 320: Compact/Tacops. $499 for compact, $650 for full size tacops with 4 21 round mags
Sig sp2022: $450

Glock 19: gen 4 w/ factory night sights $590

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg. I have one at the girlfriends house for HD. I recently picked up a Winchester SPX 12ga 18" defender at my LGS for $239.00. It's a great gun with a really smooth action and had some good reviews online.

You will have good, quality options (all that are on your list fit that bill) for a combo with a $1000 budget. If you want to stretch that budget a bit more you could also look at other shotguns. The 590a1 is an excellent choice but you could save a $100-$200 by looking at the 590sp, 500, Remington 870 express, Maverick 88, Winchester SPX and others. Again, good choice with the a1, just throwing out options.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

The purpose for the shotgun would be HD, and the 9mm handgun would supplement it for bedside and range.

Not on your list but PSA has a combo deal of a mid length AR15 and Springfield XD for $799. Well under your budget. If I didn't have those two needs covered I'd be all over that deal. Just saying.

But if you go mossberg 590 and any of the pistols you've listed you'd be good to go too.

Thanks easy, that is a good deal. Im trying to buy local. I was thinking shotgun and pistol to keep it under that 1000 dollar mark.

Do you have any shotgun experience? A pump action with buckshot will kick pretty hard. Nothing against shotguns, I've got a few, but for HD an AR15 is easier to shoot well.

You can find a SW sport for around $550 or so. You could get that and the sig 2022.

I have a little exp. With 12 gauge but none with ar 15s. That is a good point though. There is a smith wesson sport ar 15 for 599

The Mossberg is a very good shotgun, but don't rule out the venerable Remington 870. They're absolutely reliable and there's a ton of parts & accessories available.

I don't shoot 9mm, so I can't help you there, but my wife bought a S&W SD9VE and after a few bucks for the Apex trigger springs, it makes a very nice nightstand gun for her.

Another vote for the mossberg.

As a guy who's collection is 95% handguns.. I now find my self trying to play catch up with long guns.

Don't fall into the same trap I did, No matter how many handguns you have you'll probably gravitate to just a small handful, Better to round out your collection now imo.

I would look into a larger service size handgun but only after you pick up at least 1 long gun.. or preferably 2 (rifle and shotgun)

The glock is probably great for carry but if worse comes to worse you will probably want something with a little more heft if you need to defend home and surrounding property.

just my 2cents

Since you already own a Glock, the larger model will be simple to learn and master. A shotgun for HD is less than half the cost of an AR and simple target ammo for practice is also a lot cheaper. I might prefer the 870 or the 500, but that is more semantics (and I own a 500). You can get a Gen 3 G19 and add night sights for less than a Gen 4 with factory ones - at least that's what I did. Brownell's had Gen3s on sale for $450 with free shipping and a $25 gift card not too long ago; there are similar deals to be found now and again; my local FFL guy got me TruGlos and installed them for for about $80 OTD.

The basic four guns everyone should own are:
1. a 22 rifle or pistol that can use shorts, longs, and long rifle ammunition.
2. a pistol, typically a revolver that can use multiple ammo or a wide range of loads in one kind of ammo. 357 Magnum or such.
3. a 12 or 20 gauge pump action shotgun that can use a wide variety of different loads. 12 ga. is better.
4. a bolt action rifle in a hunting caliber capable of use on the largest game available, in a popular or easily obtainable cartridge.

After you have those you can get your toys like a "battle" rifle, semi-automatic pistols, full auto and other "special" arms.

Taken from a class I attended many years ago. It was surprisingly an "Urban Survival Class" that was put on by the Civil Defense people in Seattle. The information is dated but the reasoning behind the choices is still valid.

The basic four guns everyone should own are:
1. a 22 rifle or pistol that can use shorts, longs, and long rifle ammunition.
2. a pistol, typically a revolver that can use multiple ammo or a wide range of loads in one kind of ammo. 357 Magnum or such.
3. a 12 or 20 gauge pump action shotgun that can use a wide variety of different loads. 12 ga. is better.
4. a bolt action rifle in a hunting caliber capable of use on the largest game available, in a popular or easily obtainable cartridge.

After you have those you can get your toys like a "battle" rifle, semi-automatic pistols, full auto and other "special" arms.

Taken from a class I attended many years ago. It was surprisingly an "Urban Survival Class" that was put on by the Civil Defense people in Seattle. The information is dated but the reasoning behind the choices is still valid.

Those four might be nice for some, but others might disagree. I could easily get by with two shotguns and 2 pistols for SD/HD without the need for .22s, hunting rifles, ARs or similar.

Each person has their own unique scenario; not all of us live in ghetto-type war zones or worry about zombie invasions.

FITASC,
Remember this was put on in Seattle in the very early 1960s. Hunting was still very popular and the Hunter's education classes were full and put on in the city.

The reason for the 22 was for "camp meat" or small game and with the right ammunition it could be used on rats up to grounded birds. The pistol was primarily for self defense and the defense of one's home and family. The shotgun was for both defense against larger groups and hunting airborn birds. The rifle was for defense of neighbors and larger game hunting.
The OCD (Office of Civil Defense) knew full well that the grocery stores would be empty within a few days and that canned goods would only be viable for a couple of years. Once the danger of fallout was gone hunting could be used to supplement food supplies to a limited extent. The rifle was also seen as a potential military arm for local protection in the case of invasion.

This was long before anyone had come up with zombies or slum riots. My dad and two of my brothers went through the class and then we went through the hunter's education class a few weeks later. The four of us built a fallout shelter for the family with an entrance from the basement. Dad was an engineer and designed it and then we all assembled the monstrosity under the back yard.

I have and would suggest several.

1. Mossberg 500-I paid $298 for a Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo (2 barrels)

2. S&W SD9VE 9mm I paid $289.99

3. S&W AR15 Sport-I paid $569

All are good, affordable and reliable.

Thanks for all the info!

Ended up going with an S&W mp sport ar 15, didnsome research and seems like an awesome entry AR .
there are a few rifle ranges close to me.

Got a sig p320 compact, only thing is the take down lever won't go down, and magazine seems to stick out a little. The take down is so stiff or something might be wrong.:confused:

Great choice on the AR IMHO.

This may be the best time ever to buy an AR.

The Mossberg (love them) or something like it will always be around and if I could only have one or the other, a compact AR would cover more contingencies.

Back