New grips for the SP101

txray22

I really like the SP and can live with the factory grips, but would like to try something else. Not sure about Pachmayr grips, the ones I ordered for a Service Six never fit right. Any ideas?

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/sp101/

I cant say how well they work on a 101 since I don't have any but Altamont make very good grips that I have put on many of my N frame S&W.
They are very good looking and in my guns they are very tight, In fact they are hard to put on which makes them tighter.
I like the looks of the Snakesking combo and at 44$ not that expensive.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/sp101
Hoge makes great grips but on the 101 they make there grips to long so you can get a full hold on the gun.

https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers/
Here are some of the most beautiful little Rugers you will ever find.
•Gemini Customs Exotic Hardwood GP CC / Duty Grips – $400.00 & up
BUT very expensive

I went with a Hogue Monogrip. I have been pretty satisfied.

Bigger and harder to conceal, but very comfortable for shooting.

I absolutely detested the factory grips on mine. It caused my middle finger to rub the trigger guard. It now wears the Hogue.

I put the Hogue on mine and I'm completely satisfied with them. I shoot very heavy bullets and stout loads out of mine and I don't find the gun to be the least bit uncomfortable to shoot for extended sessions. Much better control for accuracy with a solid set of grips where you get full hand contact while shooting.

The original grips were way too small for my extra large hands. I bought a Hogue monogrip, but that didn't help much. Eventually I bought the largest hardwood grips from Thailand that I could find. They work fine. My friend has very small hands and liked the original grips just fine. But when I gave him the Hogue monogrip, he liked it even better.

Here is a photo of my DC 3" .327 SP101 with the Altamont Snake Skin grips on it. They are the same dimension as the factory boot grip with wood or plastic insert, but are much more attractive to me on the revolver.

Below it is the 2 1/8" .357 SP101 with the newer Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips made for the revolver. They are a wee bit shorter than the Hogue Monogrip which is positioned behind it, but are fatter through the palm and more bulbous on the butt. (They should be much better for larger hands)
They seem more comfortable to me with an average size 9 glove hand.

Either the Hogue or the Pachmayr are more comfortable and controllable to my hand than the factory, but neither conceal as well as the Ruger factory grip which is pictured to the right for comparison.

That is not to say that the Ruger or Altamont grips are all that uncomfortable or uncontrollable for me, they aren't. For their concealability, those are what I'll stick with.
Just had to try the others.

I do own a set of the old Eagle Boot Grips for an SP101, but they never fit quite right without shimming on the inside. For my hand they were never a more comfortable, controllable, or concealable option, but they are the smallest all wood for the revolver that I've personally seen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_100233497.jpg
    IMG_20170401_100233497.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 814
I dug out the Eagle grip to compare as well. This particular set is smooth and does not sport the checkering option which is more attractive.
Though in my opinion, wood is always more attractive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_104138404.jpg
    IMG_20170401_104138404.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 797
I really like the SP and can live with the factory grips, but would like to try something else. Not sure about Pachmayr grips, the ones I ordered for a Service Six never fit right. Any ideas?

+ 1 on the Trausch grips. I have tried most of the grips above, and by far the Trausch are the best for me.
They are out of business, the owner died. But there are still some out there just have to put your Sherlock on.
They come in black also.

I don't buy grips for looks, I buy them for performance, and I have found, for me, rubber Hogue Monogrips on an SP101 fit that bill perfectly. I had the same grips on a Mod 64 with equal results.

20170119_221609_zpsbdkyof5p.jpg

Put the Hogues on one, (or most other grips that I've tried), and slip it in a Kangaroo Carry holster as I do, and you'll see why the factory grips conceal much better.
They're just too long and print forward... and I'm sold on the Kangaroo.

2my66uo.jpg
[/IMG]

I went with the Pachmayer Diamond Pro. I am most pleased, surprisingly, as I have small hands and usually favor small grips.

Side note: I liked them so much, I ordered some for my GP100. Didn't fit worth a poop - I returned them. The SP101 version fit fine, though.

My favorite for handling 357 Magnum, while remaining concealable, is the Hogue nylon. Badger was a definite no-go for me...way too much bulk for small my hand size and actually a bit goofy-looking to my eye. Way too much money to just chuck in the grip box.

We should note that rubber as a material doesn't really offer anything except tackiness, if you like that, and a material that is cheap and easy to mold. It doesn't do much to absorb recoil, as witnessed by Pachmayr offering a grip with a special soft spot inside intended to actually do that. Nylon can achieve the very same shape and suits me much better without clinging to clothing and creating a concealment problem.

Back