New grip design for Kimber K6

HighValleyRanch

Picked up my new Kimber K6 yesterday.
Immediately got to work on a new grip design for it.

If you look for Kimber grips, all you can find are variations of the old boot grip design with the fill in the front and exposed backstrap.

Looking at the lines of the frame, I decided that I could make something different. By taking out that front strap fill area, I could then get all my fingers on the stock grip frame. There was enough clearance so knuckle banging would not be an issue.

Second, by adding material on the backstrap side instead of the front strap as conventional, I could cushion the recoil more and move lengthen the trigger reach a little. I found that the trigger breaks so far back that my usual deep wrap was not breaking the trigger as it should. So now with a little longer reach, the trigger is able to be staged and break as I want.

Third, by wrapping around the top corner I could get my web as high as I want, thereby reducing the bore axis and getting straight back recoil.

Forth, I wanted a much thinner design for my AIWB or pocket carry. All the conventional boot grip designs are stubby and fat. I wanted long and thin. I even thought making them as thin as old Iver Johnson type pocket revolver grips, and may still do that on the next pair.

These are made from some birch stock that I had in the shop, and will do some carving or stipple design on them with an antique finish.

The're also cut back enough for my SL variant speedloader. FWIW, the same speedloaders for the Security six work on the Kimber K6. The HKS model that works is #10.

The first two photos show the difference in the stock rubber grips (all the wood ones are the same design) and my set back designed grips.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05875.JPG
    DSC05875.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC05876.JPG
    DSC05876.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 642
Excellent work.

One of the reasons I sold my K6s was the lack of aftermarket support. Grips that fit are easy to find for popular models such as S&W but the options for the K6s are limited. A big problem I had was the distance between the backstrap and the trigger being too short.

The K6s is a well made revolver with a good trigger and if I had been able to get some grips that fit me and a Big Dot sight for it, I probably would have kept it.

You are on the right path. I also believe the K6s could benefit from some optional grip shapes. Here are the stock Laser grips which work fine but if I take a grip high up on the backstrap it creates an uncomfortable angle for my trigger pull. If I move the gun more into the palm of my hand everything is great.
b9ead3b6-4210-4c42-ab23-de971d9283eb-zpslsq37qbu.jpg

Here's the second set I made yesterday. I took the first grips out and the gun was trying to move up in the recoil, so I added finger grooves and more overhang on the second grip, and shot some .357, and my hand didn't move at all.
This pair is fancy grain walnut with oil finish, no stippling on it yet. Just working out shapes and designs for now.

I think I like these better than the first ones. Slightly longer than the first, and all three fingers fit onto the grip. More fill behind the backstrap, but I can still get a deep wrap on the trigger.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05882.JPG
    DSC05882.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 922
  • DSC05883.JPG
    DSC05883.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 450
Back