New GP100 spitting

mrat

I just bought a NIB 3" GP100. I shot it today for the first time and every few rounds it would blow something back into my face (I actually got little marks on my face from it). I was using reloads I bought at a gunshow a few years ago. Any thoughts on what is going on?

Gotta chime in here with similar anecdote. My cousin had a blue 4-inch that would sandpaper his face with any magnum ammo. He came off the firing line at the indoor rance looking like he'd been dry-shaved with a dull hatchet. He sent the piece back to Ruger. They "fixed" it, but it didn't cure the problem. He wound up disposing of it at a show. Hope yours turns out better.

If it is new, I would take it back to the store where you bought it. Let them look at it and send it back to Ruger if necessary.

Spitting can have several causes. The most common is failure of the chambers to line up with the barrel, either due to a manufacturing defect in the cylinder or misalignment in the lockup. Other possible causes include too small a forcing cone, too large a barrel-cylinder gap (.006 is usually considered ideal), or incorrect ammunition.

The use of reloads would not of itself cause a problem, but there may be something wrong with them. FWIW, I never use someone else's reloads. If I blow myself up with reloads, at least I want to know the name of the person responsible -

Jim

mrat,

This may be far fetched, but when I first started shooting a revolver, I was shooting from a bench rest, and resting my revolver too close to one of the 4X4 shelter uprights. Got a face full of paint particles and splinters on the first shot, and thought it was the gun at first! Fortunately, I always wear safety glasses when shooting!

The gas escaping from the cylinder gap is traveling at thousands of feet per second, and can easily cut through wood, paint, sandbags, and even plastic bench rests!

The high speed pictures I've seen of revolvers being fired, show almost all of this escaping gas traveling at right angles to the cylinder/barrel, so spitting should not hit you in the face, unless it's being deflected by something?

Bill

I feel most revolvers will do this from time to time.i have felt it once or twice from several of my revlovers,i think its an ammo thing.most important thing here is to always were eye protection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try factory ammo and see what happens. I hope the problem is as simple as bad ammo.

Jim Keenan,
I agree with you about reloads. I typically will not shoot reloads through my guns unless I know and trust the person who made them.

Back