New Goal (Also a Thank you)

Hoss632

So a follow up to my first thread from a few months back. Came in seeking advice for my first pistol. So first off thank you to everyone who took time to give their advice and opinions. With that said I ended up going with an M&P 2.0 Full size. Outside of the 1911 like grip angle, the grip texture won me over. I have naturally clammy hands and first time I got the 2.0 in my hands it didn't move. Looking forward to adding to the collection, though my end goal now is a double stack 1911/2011. I got a look up close at a Prodigy and a Staccato C and yeah it was love at first site. So as I learn and continue everything with the m&p I will be saving up for preferably the Staccato. Probably do the C with the shorter grip as I would like for it to be the carry gun. One thing I've decided on is for sure I'd like my carry gun to be a compact 1911/2011 or a double/single pistol like a CZ P07 or shadow 2 compact. The safety features in those guns is something I'd trust more than a striker fired gun carrying on body.

Hi.

Garanda Thumb did a drop test. The Staccoto and Night Hawk failed with a hit primer. The S2 compact, unlike any other none 1911 70 series doesnt have a firing pin block.

Those wouldnt be my choice for carry. But lots of different options and views. Take care.

Ben Stoeger did a drop test weeks before GarandThumb showing the same. Firing pin blocks aren’t without reason.

Honestly if you like the M&P they make one with a manual safety, and it’s a manual safety that seems positioned decently. You’ve mentioned a striker fired pistol without a safety, a 1911/2011 pistol with a manual safety, and a DA/SA pistol. Those are fairly different manuals of arms. It’s worth trying to figure out which you like before investing heavily one way or the other. Of course it’s hard to figure out without trying them.

In terms of carry pistols I have a SAO Staccato C2, a DA/SA HK P2000 and a LTT Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, and a number of striker fired pistols without safeties. I have others with the same manual of arms that I don’t typically carry. I have shot ~3,900 rounds through the C2. In all honesty I wouldn’t buy it again. I enjoy it, but I don’t shoot it dramatically better than the others I mentioned.

Last edited:
Many, many years ago there was an article (or report) circulating on the Internet that "proved" conclusively that a 1911 would not fire when dropped on the muzzle. And for many, many years most 1911 aficionados accepted that test as gospel.

And then a few years ago, Walt Kuleck and Drake Oldham ran their own tests to verify this. Where the original test was actually done using just a barrel taped into a slide, Walt and Drake dropped complete pistol. And they found that a 1911 WILL fire when dropped on the muzzle -- from waist height on some surfaces.

This hasn't caused me to sell any of my non-Series 80 1911s, but the ones I carry on a regular basis all have a firing pin safety.

Did not know about all this with 1911's and the drop safety. Definitely will be much more aware of that as I move forward.

Back