New Glock Purchase

• Thread starter Thread starter BJ
  • Start date Start date

BJ

Inactive
I have been considering purchasing a Glock for some time now. I have fired the 23, and the size is just right for my hand, so I am set on the compact model. I need help deciding the caliber to purchase. The 23 (.40) is nice, perhaps too sharp of a recoil, however. I am wondering how the .40 Glock compares (recoil) to the 19 or other compact Glock models. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BJ- IMHO the 23 is as good as the Glocks get. Many may disagree but here is why I feel this way.
1.the power vs. size ratio is great. You get alot of rounds w/ enough power. 9mm you get alot of rounds, but not nearly as powerful. .45 cal. has alot of power, but can't carry as many of them.
2.Magazine size is still efficent when restricted to 10 rndrs. vs. alot of unused space in post ban 9mm mags.
3. Very accurate in .40 cal. Not saying others aren't, but for me I shoot best with that caliber.
4.The 23 is big enough to get a good grip on but not too large to hurt concealment if that is in your future.
Hope any of this helps!

the G19 is a neat size but the G17 may fit your hand better it is only a half an inch bigger on both ends sand with the G22. My preferance is 9mm and it will stay 9mm. And also check out www.glocktalk.com they have alot of info for you to learn and have fun with.

------------------
Glocks are not perfect, just better than every other handgun.

I have not yet fired the 17, only the 23 (so far). I like the compact size, for ease of concealment, and also because it seems to be balanced just right for my hand size. I'll be going to the range this weekend, perhaps I'll try one on for size.

I own or shot all of the 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP Glocks. Why are you looking at the compact 9mm? Are you going to carry concealed?

Anyway, there is a big difference in recoil between the 9mm and 40SW Glocks.

Many of the Glocks going kaboom occur in the 40's because the cases are highly pressurized, double charges by reloaders and the frames may have been built off of Glock's original 9mm design.

I shoot the Glock 27 in 40SW exceptionally well. Maybe better than how I shoot my G26. But I prefer the softer recoil of the 9mm round as a civilian. If you are LE or military, your agency may have moved up to the 40 SW round.

Many LE agencies stated they moved up to the 40 SW round because it is a more effective round. I like it . . . if you reload, you know that it is smack in between a 9mm and a 45 ACP case.

But LE agencies in the 90s just weren't able to recruit the caliber of cop that they used to. If you mention you have experience with firearms, the interviewing committees tend to get nervous. Furthermore, many agencies have problems getting and keeping a percentage of their officers/agents firearms qualified. Minneapolis/St Paul's department/s have a 50% failure rate on the first go around of handgun qualifications a while back. It's a tool to them but fella's like Jim Circullo (sp?) are hard to find nowdays.

Unemployment is at an all time low and the LE and miliatry communities aren't getting the candidates they once enjoyed.

Hell . . . the FBI only offers $32,000 to start off as a special agent. Most attorneys, accountants, analysts, and military intelligence officers are making almost twice that starting out.

The Glock 19 is the most successful Glock among civilians. If I could only have one Glock, it would be either the Glock 19 in 9mm or the Glock 30 in 45 ACP (The Big Dawg as we GlockTalkers call it!).

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Back