New gal with a question

Brenda

I have found out that the 2 USA magazines I got for my Ruger P89 dont work like the Ruger clips.When these USA clip empty the slide doesnt lock back.I noticed that the notch on the side of the Ruger clips are longer and has a flat taper to it,the usa clips are not like this.Could this differance be the cause.
BTW,I found TFL link at Frugal Squirrel's homepage.

Aftermarket magazines never work like the originals. USA are of poor quality even though they say the will not jam, but you can work a magazine where it will function with no problems. Just takes time!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Send the USA mags back to them and ask for a refund or go to the retailer and get your money back.

BTW - the ProMags have worked well in the Sigs, Glocks, and Kahrs I have owned. I practice/train with them but carry factory.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

First of all, Miss Brenda, welcome to TFL. Glad to have you aboard. Slap the other two for their rudeness! :)
Both Fourdiamonds and Jtduncan are correct. USA mags are not exactly of the highest quality. If you're carrying for personal protection, stick with factory magazines. If the USA mags feed reliably, and it doesn't bother you that the slide doesn't lock back after the last shot, keep 'em and use them for practice or plinking.

I would recommend MecGar magazines for Ruger. Promags might work, too, haven't tried them. USA mags are almost guaranteed to work poorly and self-destruct over time.

Welcome Brenda to TFL.
The MecGar suggestion is good - if you cant find factory.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

When I newly purchase my 1911, I had a problem with the Stainless magazine with it. I could hardly load the bullets, what I did, I oil it well, use a rod to pump it to and fro until it was loosen, then it works well like the the M.cormick mags. Just look at the little defects and once you've seen it, it works flawlessly.

Welcome to the world of hand-guns.

Hi Brenda, welcome to TFL. Nice to have you here.

AVOID USA MAGS, I have yet to hear of anyone that has had good luck with them. I don't own a Ruger so I can not refer you to a good aftermarket magazine maker for them.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Brenda,

I've used USA and Mecgar mags. They take too much fiddlin' to work consistently, IMHO. 'Required some fiddlin' to work the first time.

McCormick seems to be a real good value. No adjustments required in my 1911s. I use the hell out of 'em.

Sensop

Might be the luck of the draw. My buddy has three USA preban hicaps that work flawlessly in his Ruger P89. He's shot them plenty and not once have they jammed or failed to feed.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Brenda, the USA magazines are okay--after you 1)re-spec the feed lips, 2)shape the follower, 3)replace the spring and 4) polish the inside walls of the magazine.

Of all the after-market magazines, the MEC-Gar seemt o be the best. I understand that several gun makers use the MEC-Gar as their factory-issue magazines.

Welcome to the Firing Line. Glad to have you aboard.

LawDog

brenda
welcome to the firing line.
usa mags are hit or miss ironicly the only thing that usa mags seem to have the greatest # of reliability uses are in the sks (go figure) mec-gar is the no.1 mfg of factory 10rd mags for sig-beretta-s&w-keltec to name a few. a worth while investment when you can find them. i think ajax carries them (look in SGN) also i have had good luck with promags for my ar as well as my glocks and sigs. had a problem with a promag and promag fixed it no questions asked! usa mags are on the bottom of the list. would use them as a last resort. but then again to be fair there are folks out there who swear by them as well as at them

Welcome to TFL Brenda, As for magazines I stick with factory, Mec-Gar or Promags. Usually try to stick factory though

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

mec-gar's are factory mags. actually they are the contractor who supplies the mags for new pistols for a number of mfg's. incl walther usa

Thanks for the welcome all.
I didnt have any feed or failure to eject problems.I just prefer to have the slide to lock back after the clip is empty.Creature of habit thing I guess.
I'm going to check into the Mec-Gar and ProMag. Hoping to talk my husband into taking me to a gun and knife show next weekend :)

I tried after market mags for the first time a few months ago....

Now I know why you pay $50 for a factory mag and $25 for after market mags.

I bought two Pro Mag's for my Desert Eagle... fails to lock the slide back 70% of the time, feeds like crap, looks cheap, feels cheap.

Really makes my dead sexy Desert Eagle look like a toy with the ugly peice of plastic base of the mag sticking out of the grip.

Never again.

I wanna get some mags for my RugerP97 (factory of course), anyone know where I can get some? I want the P97 ones, not one from their other .45 P series guns, because the P97 holds 8 instead of 7. (9 all together with one in the spout)

Does Ruger sell 'em? Their website is sorta... basicly homemade. (sorry to be snotty, but I'm a computer tech and have seen better web pages made by 12 year olds at home than Rugers site)

Maybe I could call Ruger... ::shrugs::

Good luck Brenda on the mags, stick with factory.

-Frank the Spank

Frank, try calling Ruger, they should have p97 mags in stock. And the price from the factory usually isn't bad, I ordered some p91 mags from them a long time ago.

Back